Cost of imac motherboard

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by applemacdude, Mar 7, 2004.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

How much will a replacement 1.25ghz iMac motherboard cost?

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

isn't your iMac still covered under warranty?
    i image a replacement motherboard would be outrageously expensive and you'd need to get a professional to install it for you

3. PowerBook User macrumors regular

I would call Apple for a price. They could also give you an estimate on the labor. The motherboard will likely be expensive. Is the iMac out of warrantee?

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

As other have said I hope it's in warranty as it'll be expensive. From what I've seen most Apple logic/motherboards are in the region of $400 - usually as an exchange part. As your board is quite new it could well be even more.... :eek:

5. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Can anyone call apple and see how much it will cost?

6. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Not to be mean, but why can't you?

BEN

7. Opteron macrumors 6502

Yeah why not call and ask?

or are you intending to build a clone imac, since you never stated you actually own an iMac :D

8. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Because im at school....

my imacs pro speaker jack got broken and i will go out and replace the whole thing if its not that expensive

9. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

if you have a 1.25GHz iMac, there is no way it could be more than 1 year old. if it's less than 1 year old, which it is, even if you don't have applecare, then you can have apple check it out, and if there is a problem, they will fix it. you shouldn't have to pay for it yourself.... unless you've been torturing your computer ;)

reality

10. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

It was "Accidental damage" according to Apple...

11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I work at an Apple Service center, a new MLB will not be cheap for the new iMac, probably $600-$700 and another $100 for labor, I hope you have Applecare.

12. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

But as time proggresses the motherboard will be cheaper.....I am willing to pay for a new one but all that for a broken pro speaker port is too much...WHY would i need applecare if it is still with warranty?

13. bluetrepidation macrumors member

Get on www.digikey.com and order a new jack. Find some dorky kid at school that can solder like me and pop a new plug onto the motherboard. Hell I'll do it for you for $30! Unless the motherboard is cracked there is no reason to replace the whole thing.

A.J.

14. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

you could always get one of those usb audio things... I think. They would be a lot cheaper than a new mobo.
    Hope this helps,
    Ted

15. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

you could just buy some other speakers and use them with the headphone port. i'm not sure if that's full quality unless you have line-out (correct me if i'm wrong)
    if you're in love with your pro speakers (as i am with mine) consider this product from Griffin. it allows you to connect your pro speakers to any computer using a line-out/headphone port (right??) and firewire to power the speakers.

just a few suggestions. unless you need the pro speaker port (or you're swimming in money(why don't you have a g5 then?)) i wouldn't recommend paying for the new motherboard unless you have any other problems.

reality

16. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Isnt the pro speaker port proprietary? anyways i cant find it on that website..its just that i feel bad having it like that.....my dad already is mad at me....i just dont know...

17. bluetrepidation macrumors member

If you really need a fix that isn't costing you $1000 then email me. I'm constantly soldering stuff to my gigabit machine I built for ****s and giggles. :p You would need to pay for shipping, the cost of the jack, and $30 labor. If it can't be done you owe me nothing. The only way this would happen is if the mothboard is cracked. I'd dought that. They are thick. I'll see if I can find the plug from some of my suppliers and post back.

A.J.

18. bluetrepidation macrumors member

OK well we're looking at a 2.5mm audio jack that's either surface mount or PCB mount. They range in price from 50 cents to $2. All the possible styles are in stock and I can order at any time. I'd need to see the motherboard to determine the correct part. It looks good though. Let me know if you can't find a better solution. Should be something like this.

A.J.

19. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I dont know....my dad might not let me....maybe when the warranty expires......

20. Opteron macrumors 6502

Until that time, get consumer affairs (or the US virsion there of) and hound them until they fix the motherboard under warrenty.
    People have also had success call Apple HQ rather than just the normal tech support line.

And remember above all, you had nothing to do with the malfunction, it just occured.

21. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Well when his profile says:

Nuff' Said :)

22. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

The pro speaker port is an Apple only port. If you want better sound get an M-Audio surround USB device. It gives you 5.1 out of USB, its also a lot cheaper then getting a new MLB. Also with soldering on a MLB, don't do it, that is guaranteed to void your warranty unless it is done by an Apple tech. Also its not the easiest thing to do without messing the rest of the computer up.