Cost of Iraq War $291 Billion So Far

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jul 14, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-cost14jul14,0,4491254.story

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yep, fire those who speak the truth and promote / give medals to those who tell you what you want to hear.

The Bushies so get governing... Nothing bad has EVER come of surrounding yourself with 'yes' people. Has it?

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes. I mean no. Yes and no.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so i suppose you don't go to war with the money you have, you go to war with the money you wish you had?

5. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

at that rate, it would take iraq 25 years to pay off the war (if the war was all about oil, which it isn't)

6. tristan macrumors 6502a

Actually Iraq's oil would pay for the war - they have 100B barrels, and at current prices thats $7.8T. But that oil isn't going to be the property of the American taxpayer.

Though it sure would be nice if we could get it all out of the ground before we leave and take it with us.... Mmm, black gold...

Back to the cost. Iraq's a blank check man to the defense contractors man. A blank freakin' check.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

And after spending 400 billion we have.....we have......what do we have? anything? Perhaps a base to kick Irans nuclear wanting butt. Thats about it and I expect a Shiite ran Iran within 10 yrs. terrific.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth."
    - Charles Sumner

$291B on war? Glad to see the US has its priorities straight... :rolleyes:

9. tristan macrumors 6502a

Disband your military, clothe your people, build your schoolhouses... And then I'll build a handful of tanks and take over the world! Yes! Oh, I shouldn't have told you my plan.

But Bush has the whole thing backwards anyway, the whole point in having a big military is that if its big enough, you don't have to use it. That's the "logic" of the cold war. But our military is geared towards chasing off Iraqi Republican Guard, not fighting rebels in civilian clothes.

FYI, I just read something on the Philippine insurgency in Wikipedia:

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

A significant military has rarely, if ever, kept two nations from fighting, even the Cold War. Although the US and Soviets never came to direct conflict, the use of proxy nations throughout the Middle East and Southeast Asia created situations in which money and arms were used to try to shift the balance of power. Furthermore, Soviet advisors in Vietnam, and CIA personel in Afghanistan proved that superpowers didn't need direct conflict.
    Throughout history one can see instances of large armies, massively well-funded and trained, still fighting. The Pax Americana wasn't just because of simple military power, it was because of a confluence of alliances, interests, and nuclear arms.
    The US could still remain a fearsome power with just 1/4 of its current strategic abilities, the rest is simply over-kill necessary because of the military-industrial complex and its relationship with the US government.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Vietnam again, brought to you by the ones avoiding vietnam and not learning the lessons from a stupid war. History repeating itself because we forgot,didnt pay attention.

12. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Several responses:
    1) Where did all that money go?!?!?
    2) Considering this is a similar case as with the US attack and occupation of the Philippines, we would be looking at 20-25 years stabilizing Iraq. Who knows how much we will have spend by then? (hopefully we will have a better president by then)

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Deborah White's Liberal Politics link lists totals under "spent and approved to spend" at US$435 Billion and itemizes statistics of loss of life and includes the misappropriation of some US$9 Billion as of July 6 '06. It's beyond a bad bowl of grits.

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

No, you go to war with the money other people have. Money that isn't yours is far easier to spend.

We're still going to be paying for this entire brainfarted disaster when my grandchildren are ready for retirement.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, we spent around $600 Million in military expenditures in the Philippines, adjusted for today's dollars that turns into real money, although in doing so we killed a huge number of civillians and fought for four years officially and 13 more unofficially. It actually took WWII for the Philippines to gain their independence in 1946, after they were invaded by Japan, and MacArthur fulfilled his promise.

As for today's $291 Billion, lots of money is missing, and a lot more was given to KBR and other large defense contractors, making Cheney a very rich man while helping out his former collegues. The Army is going to change the process by which contractors bids are made, forbidding large single contracts. The accounting is simply a mess and fighting a modern insurgency is expensive in a country at the edge of civil war and economic ruin.
    This has been a total Charlie Flouder.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That sounds about right. And it's just going to be climbing ever higher. I sometimes think I might have agreed with the Iraq war had it gone better. Guess we'll never know now.