Cost of my HD repair by Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joepunk, Jan 27, 2007.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

So after getting my PB's hard drive replace by Apple Care several weeks ago I thought nothing of looking at the receipt. Until now.

For an 80GB 5400 2.5" HD = $232.81

And the Hardware Repair - Level 2 = $135

For a total of $367.81 :eek:

Thanks Apple for doing the work for me :D

2. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

i forget who said it, but:

if you have to ask how much it cost, you can't afford it.

3. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

This is a great thread to show those who are skeptical in purchasing the Applecare Protection Plan that it is well worth the money.

4. joepunk thread starter macrumors 68030

joepunk

This one repair basically paid off my Apple Care purchase (student) :) as I did not want to try opening the PB my self.

Wonder how much a 2.5" HD would cost me on the market at the moment?

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

not that much. and that's certainly a ton for the "labor"

I do believe AppleCare is worth it, but this isn't a very good example.

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

On Newegg, an 80GB 2.5" HD 5400rpm will run less than $100.

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

If you add up all the repair receipts for my PowerBook it's around $800 to $1000. Be thankful for AppleCare! :)

The first was a dead HD, then a bad keyboard (the spacebar wonked out), then the top plate got replaced (pitting) and my HD borked out again (it was a software thing), and now I'm getting a new LCD (there's a cat hair in it).
    And on top of that, all the repairs had a ~2 day turnaround, save the HD replacement. :cool:

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

AppleCare definitely paid for itself when my PowerBook was past its one year warranty and the LCD backlight crapped out.

Now if you want to total up all of the 3 repairs Apple's done on my laptop, I wouldn't be surprised if it's close to the thousand dollar range. Hell, I bet the logicboard would've been about $500

9. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

My powerbooks 80 toshiba HD started having problems after 3 years. Had my HD replaced by Powerbookresq with a 120 gig drive for under $320 including fed ex shipping each way. Thats a lot of money but I was only without my mac for a day and a half and got a larger drive and the data cloned.

Thats why I a big fan of the easily replaceable hard disks in the MacBooks and pray that the MacBook pros will have them some day.

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The trouble with this argument is you are basing the cost of the repair on what Apple charges, and Apple's prices do not reflect reality.

A 80gb hard drive for >$200?! Wow... if there is a 400gb 2.5" hard drive I think $250 should be more than enough to buy it, because you can buy real bonafide quality 120gb hard drives complete with 5 year warranty for like $130 or so. $150 to replace a hard drive? Depending on where you live, some countries may have cheaper labour.

I really don't think it takes enough intellectual property and training that changing that hard drive costs enough to pay an American burger flipper for the entire day.

In short, Apple's prices are there for show. Nobody actually pays for them. Very much what happens in various government agencies and in the military, you see invoices for huge $$$$ purchases and money changes hands from one department to another, but get real, those numbers are just for show.