Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jawa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
My iMac died a few days ago. I shut it down the previous night, and then in the morning when I went to turn it on, nothing happened. The screen display doesn't turn on, nothing. I opened it up and did the LED tests, and found that the first one would turn on, but none of the others would. The apple site says to take it to a store and have it fixed.

Now, I bought my mac on December 19th, 2004 ( :) what a day that was). At the time, I didn't think I'd need to buy applecare or anything. So about how much do you guys think it would cost to replace the logic board? And also, how long would it take to have it replaced?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Jawa said:
My iMac died a few days ago. I shut it down the previous night, and then in the morning when I went to turn it on, nothing happened. The screen display doesn't turn on, nothing. I opened it up and did the LED tests, and found that the first one would turn on, but none of the others would. The apple site says to take it to a store and have it fixed.

Now, I bought my mac on December 19th, 2004 ( :) what a day that was). At the time, I didn't think I'd need to buy applecare or anything. So about how much do you guys think it would cost to replace the logic board? And also, how long would it take to have it replaced?

If it is the logic board, you will probably be better off buying another one - what size iMac is it?

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
Jawa said:

Check Apple's website as there is an extended warranty provided for certain serial numbers. I had my logic board and power supply replaced under the extended warranty at no charge (the invoice showed a pre-adjustment charge of $978). The Apple Store took my iMac on a Saturday afternoon and had it finished Sunday evening.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If this is a Rev. A 17" in particular, I definitely also suspect you'll be much better off buying a used replacement. If it's a 20"-er, I'm not so sure, because the screen is such a large portion of the cost. :(

But do definitely explore options vis-à-vis Apple and the Rev. A replacement program and so on. :eek:

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
price for a 17'' Rev A(Apple Care saved me)

Logic Board(1.8Ghz w/ SupeDrive)- was 732.81

with a HardWare Repair Level 2-135.00

Total

So i would say buy new if you have the 17''
(check if Apple Extended Warrenty supports your problem first!)

riciad

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
Apple replaced the logic board on my 20" iMac Rev. A a few months ago under the extended warranty. Dropped it into an AASP and had it back an hour and a half later.
I got AppleCare shortly after and when my Mac started acting peculiar a few days ago, I phoned Apple and the fellow there agreed it was most likely the hard drive causing the problems. This was at 3:30 Thursday afternoon. The replacement drive arrived on my doorstop at 1:00 Friday afternoon.Think that's pretty good service.

RRack

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2007
Apple Repair Extension Program....

...I'm sure you guys already know about this but I thought I'd go ahead and post if by chance someone still needs the info. I actually just found out while researching an iMac that I'm working on.

Apple will repair or replace any problematic iMac G5 1.6ghz logic boards free of charge thru a sort of recall for up to three years after the purchase date. The caps in these 'test drive' iMacs were bad and bulged when they heated up...Here's the Apple website link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302181

Or just search for iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.