Cost to Attend Macworld 2006

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JackSYi, Jun 4, 2005.

1. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know how much to attend and at least see Steve Jobs speak at the Macworld 2006 in San Francisco? I am going to be a second year student at UCSB and want to attend next year. :D :D :D

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I might be totally wrong but I thought is was free, just have to register for it.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Exhibit passes are dirt cheap, and are often free from various websites. Getting into the keynote is expensive though. You have to have some special pass $$$. Plus you have to show up before dawn.

4. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

yeah, i wish i knew this before i went to the apple expo in paris. i ended up getting put in a seperate holding room :(

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

To get into the keynote, you'll need a full conference pass, which I believe runs around $200. In years past you could sometimes get into the keynote with just a floor pass (free to cheap) if you waited outside the hall until everyone was seated and asked politely. But I doubt that's true anymore. Last year, for the first time, even a lot of the media wasn't allowed to sit in the hall. All of us "b-list" media (you'd be surprised who that includes) were shuttled off to a room downstairs to watch it on a projection TV. Nice media relations there Apple! So instead of paying close attention to Steve, most of the time we sat around wisecracking.

Anyhow, you didn't ask but a decent hotel room in San Francisco can be had for under $100 these days if you know where to look.

6. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for your inputs. And thanks Reilly for the information on the Hotels. I am actually planning my trip up to San Francisco during Macworld, and would need a hotel room for sure.

So do you think a student like me could possibly purchase the full conference pass? Even if it is expensive?

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i have a keynote pass to the paris expo, dose anyone know how early i have to get there to get a good seat?

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You mean, is it allowed? Sure. ;) Gets you into the workshops too, some of which are pretty good. Better plan on spending a few days though, because you'll want at least one full day on the floor.

I always stay at the Holiday Inn Civic Center at 9th and Market. It's a pretty good (10-15 minute) hike down Market or Mission to the Moscone, but unless it's raining, I enjoy the walk. Not the greatest neighborhood either (right next to the XXX district), but the price is right (about $80 last year online) and it's a good hotel with very close access to BART & MUNI and all the buses and trollies running up and down Market Street.

So now my secret is out...

9. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sweet, thanks a lot Reilly.
    :D :D :D

10. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Yep, I've been the last two years as I lived in Paris at that point.

The first time I arrived at the Palais de Congrès at about 0730 for the 1030 start, and was one of the first there. To be honest, that's too early. Last year I was there at maybe 0815, and there was a decent crowd. That's a good time to turn up, I was probably one of 500 or so when I got there. Things really hotted up at around 0930, and I suspect it reached the capacity of those that could actually get into the arena at round about this point.

However, I must say that there are very few "bad" seats at the Palais de Congrès - it is an absolutely magnificent venue, and as the seating is sloped, everyone has an unimpeded view. Even if you're stuck on the back row in the corner, you will be able to see anything and everything that goes on.

11. neoserver macrumors 6502

When i went in 2004, i was able to get an educational discount. There should be a link somewhere that has cheaper pricing. I also had to get in line at 5AM to get a decent seat. after 5:30AM, tons of people came.