Cost to repair audio jack at apple store?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shagey36, Mar 31, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2010
    Does anybody have an estimate as to how much it would cost to replace the audio jack on a 1st gen ipod touch at an apple store?

I called but they wouldnt give me an estimate so I was hoping somebody out there could give me some sort of estimate
  2. macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2008
    London City
    Enough to make you consider buy a new iPod Touch...
  3. macrumors member

Jan 9, 2008
    Madrid, Spain
    I take it you mean the jack socket on the iPod and not the jack plug on the headphones?

That being the case, what's the problem? It may be that you can fix it yourself quite easily.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2010
    It's not the headphones. I've tried them in other devices and they are totally fine. I've also tried other headphones in the iPod and they don't work either so it has to be something wrong with the iPod.

The problem is that I only get audio out of one ear...if I push the plug in really tight I can hear both ears but as soon as I release the pressure I lose the ear.
  5. macrumors 6502

Mar 27, 2004
    Ozark, Missouri
    Have you checked the inside of the jack? Sometimes debris gets pushed down to the bottom of the jack and can prevent you from plugging your headphones in all the way, which would cause the symptoms your iPod touch is exhibiting.

I've had it happen before with my iPhone, and I've usually been able to clean it out using a really thin screwdriver (i.e. a jeweler's screw driver).
  6. macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003