Could a PC video card be used on a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wildcat, May 1, 2002.

1. Wildcat macrumors regular

Ok I am going to get a Radeon 7000 PCI. My dad found one at Frys electronics OME for something like $65.00. Compared to 110.00 for the mac version at the lowest price retail. So is it possible?

2. spuncan macrumors 6502

What computer do u have. If u have anything older then the BW G3 the u will get a black screen in OSX. Myself I beleive the 7000 is just s***. If u have a limited cash supply find an Original Radeon Mac edition it run much better and has alot of the additions that make a decent video card. If u have a larger supply of money then Buy and 8500 or a Nvidia 3ti or 4ti not the MX line its worse then the 7000. As for the ability to run it. I doubt it and if u can it won't be that good cuz of config. problems. And Im pretty sure u can find a better price on one on a Mac reseller site.

3. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

I have a G4 400. The 7000 would be used a a second display card. As you can tell cost is one of my main concerns.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Check to make sure there is a warranty on that OEM version of the card. More then 30 days too. I have heard of people flashing the firmware/bios of nVidia cards and getting them to work in Mac's, but not ATI cards.

I agree with spuncan about this though. If you have that tight of a budget, get the original Mac Radeon card. Contact ATI before you buy a card that doesn't say it is for the Mac. Chances are real good that you will have to return it, pay a re-stocking fee, and then buy the Mac version.

Bottom line, get the Mac version, not the pc/OEM copy.

5. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

ok so say I buy the card. Do I need to flash the bios and how would I go about doing that? Isnt the original radeon card more than 110.00?

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I believe you need to use a peecee to flash it. Then slip it into the Mac.

It will take a hell of a lot less time, and cause less grief if you just got the Mac Radeon 7000 card. You won't have to d*ck around with it to try and get it to work. Flashing the card could also void the warranty, depending on how you do it.

Again, I really do think that was only for nVidia cards, and NOT for ATI cards.

I would go with the Mac one, even if I had to wait a little while. Even though it is only about a $45 difference in price. How much is your time worth??? For me, that is about 30 minutes worth. I would rather be using it for those 30 minutes then trying to get it to work over the next several days. Top it off with the chance of not being able to return it. BEFORE you buy the OEM, ask the seller if it will work in a MAC... If they say no, then get the Mac one. If they say there is a way, get detailed instructions, and something from the store manager stating that they WILL take the card back if it doesn't work in your Mac. CYA

7. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

OK thanks,
    Im not sure what I am going to do. My dad told me about this deal and I think he was going to buy it for me:). I would love to buy a better card that I know would work. But I am a poor college kid trying to make it through finals before he goes out and looks for a job. Anyway not trying to complain just trying to explain why am so interested in a cheap PC video card.