Could anybody else NOT CARE LESS about Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, May 13, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Star Wars was a pretty decent Western set in outer space that I saw about the time I graduated high school. Carrie Fisher was cute and so was the little robot. Seems like there were a lot of toys and lunch boxes around that time too. I'd probably watch it again someday if the video store was out of everything else.

HTH
    Thanks
    Trevor

3. Sogo macrumors 6502

I don't care too much, but since a good part of my friends want to go i semi-care. It seems to make them happy, i feel no need to rain on their parade.

4. makisushi macrumors 6502

me.
    But I can understand (sort of...) the excitement.
    Jar-Jar binks killed any hope I had left in Star Wars.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Nope. Not just you.

I mistakenly started watching it when it was on network TV one day, i turned it off after 5 minutes because i thought it was awful, and while i checked to see if anything decent was on, on the tv guide i saw that it was one of the star wars.

To each his own.

6. makisushi macrumors 6502

I think you have it backwards...or maybe I do...

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, fear not, because Jar JAr gets killed in this one. How do I know this? Because his ass isn't in the later ones. So, sicne he killed star wars, start wars will now kill him.

I'm actually waiting to see this one (not in line, but really want to see it). It's going to be dark, grizzly, and the JEDI DIE!!!!!! MWA HAHAHAHAHA!

8. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

From Venezuela

I just came back to my country for a week (I live in Miami) and yes, there is no much exitment about Star Wars neither, it feels like the media want to push people to get crazy about it but no one is reacting. The Jar-Jar character is a factor, it was so ridiculous but I think the overal cast is incredible bad. This kid who is doing Anakin feels fake and the princess (even she is a good actress) belong to a mall not to star wars.

Is incredible how people does not feel indentify with the characters and are not exited to be part of the story. Believe me or not but I rather see a re-run of Independence Day more than Episode 1 or 2.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I've read that although we SEE Jar Jar in Sith, he doesn't actually have any dialogue. Maybe that means we get to see him die from a very long way away. It certainly doesn't bode well for any sort of lingering, agonizing death on his part.

In all fairness, though, while I originally hated Jar Jar the most, over time my hatred for Anakin (both Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen) grew to surpass it. I don't think George Lucas could've found two worse actors to play Anakin. And hearing "Annie" actually say "Mom", in a Star Wars movie, was just the WORST. Gah.

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Nah, couldn't give a monkey's mate, it's all been pants since DV took his helmet off and turned into Humpty-Dumpty...

Now, strap a couple of Chelsea buns on Keira's head and pour her into that silver bikini and you're talking.... :D

11. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Stop toying with my mind :eek: :D

hmmm....photoshop...

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I never was much of a Star Wars fan. I have zero interest in any of the games and movies.

13. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Mmmm, let's have a look at the Give-a-f-meter......
    [​IMG]

14. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I honestly don't see what all the fuss and hype is about. I think Star wars is pathetic. I thought i was the only one around here to think that. Thank god someone else has the same opinion.

And don't even get me started on the Lord of the Rings.

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You're not alone, i can care less about it releasing also. I read something this morning about people paying $500 in San Francisco to see the premiere and another paying $2500 for "VIP" premiere passes, there is one born every minute i suppose :D

What i will look forward to is all the fan boys that dress up so i can giggle laugh and ridicule them from the comfort of my couch with beer in hand when i see "the large turnout" on the local news. Kinda like i did for LOTR fan boys..

Ed

Here is the link to that story if anyone want to see it http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050513...cdxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

16. makisushi macrumors 6502

Never heard of it, what is it?

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How can anyone not be interested in a fantastic retelling of the hero's quest? Granted the new series has been crap so far, but the original Star Wars taps into THE story that transcends culture.

My wife, who eschewed Sci-fi and geeky stuff all her life, had never seen Star Wars until after we started dating. This seemed odd to me, knowing it's background and her abiding interest in literature. So I sat her down and made her watch it, along with Joseph Campbell's 'The Power Of Myth'. Now she has a much greater understanding of why Star Wars is important.

(BTW, The Matrix is also a very good retelling of the same Hero's Quest. There are many parallels to be found between the two stories.)

Link'd

Good site showing the elements of the Hero's Journey and their coresponding parts in Star Wars.

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

my boyfriend is HUGE into star wars, he's a collector, so the past 5 years of my life have been a bit more star-wars-oriented than I might like... put another way, I don't care about it either :)

19. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

<cough> Geek alert </cough>

;)

I'm only pulling your plonker mate don't go getting all bent out of shape over it.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah I'm just trying to show how far beyond the geek circle Star Wars extends. I think a lot of people are scared off by the geek factor, but would they be so turned off by going to see Homer's Odessy?

21. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Don't get me wrong, I love the first three films....well the first two maybe...and they make me feel really nostalgic because I grew up with them.

I was actually making the geek comment about the comparison between the story and a hero's quest. It's the kind of comment you hear from a Trekkie when someone says something bad about Star Trek.

I'm not having a go at you I promise and I only meant it as a bit of fun.

Oh please god don't tell me that you're a Trekkie too or i've scored a double there :eek:

22. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Odessy? No. Illyiad? No.

Jar Jar f*****g Binks? OOOOOOOOH yes...!

The original 3 films were cultural icons, along with Alien, they were the resurgence of sci-fi as mainstream entertainment (yes, I know there were others too). These new ones are pale imitations.

As for LOTR...... technological masterpieces based on an indestructibly classic text.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nah not as interested in Star Trek. Although I do like Patrick Stewart.

24. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i care ... i got my tickets for opening night ... didn't pay more then the regular price -- i liked the first 3 (iV, V, and Vi) ... didn't care much for the prequals -- went to see them opening night with friends ... seems like tradition now ... i'm hoping for some good ass kicking ... meh --- that's just me though.