Could Apple be behind this ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by m2uk, Jan 7, 2005.

1. m2uk macrumors regular

Saw on versiontracker a few days ago Iflicks and tried it and it was a perfect (for my needs) Itunes-a-like program to catalogue video which had a great deal of promise.

Now it is "not available" (see link For some time I wondered why Apple had not done a similar thing, but since this looks so close to Itunes could they have had a word or ten thousand through an attorney or maybe they are so close to doing their own thing as well..:?

Any thoughts... and any recommendations for something else that might do what Iflicks did.

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

iFlicks is developed by Helixent not Apple.

Seems to still be available for download, looks very promising and at a nice price too. Wonder how many people actually have enough video content on their hard drive to warrant this app however (your good self aside of course!).

I'm old school and use Delicious Library to catalogue my DVD/CD/book collection.

3. m2uk thread starter macrumors regular

I am aware

I am aware who developed the program, and am aware why Apple might be upset over its ITUNES look and feel being used by another program.

I guess :) I am aware you didn't read all of the message or try the link as you would see it wasn't available and the developer admits this ! Clicking the download link on the site, howver, gives a file not found for the .dmg file.

Your same arguments about content could be given for many people with music, but, of course, not all.

But thanks for the product tip... I will check it out... First priority is to find something to catalogue my (stamp) first day covers.

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

:eek: Aaahhh! I'm sorry, I didn't check the link.

Judging from the developers blurb it does sound like Apple Legal has been busy again. However judging from the screenshots it sounds like they were well within their rights!

I don't think video content is comparable with music really. People own a lot more music than videos, listen to their favourite songs a lot more often than watch their favourite movies, like making mix tapes etc and when you buy a CD there are already ten or so songs making a catalouging app that much more useful for music. Apple obviously has similar thoughts hence the Photo iPod. I don't know how far off we are from Apple making such an app available as part of iLife, until that time you could always try DVD Cache :)

5. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

It looks like they may have made it pay-only software, judging by this link. It seems you can still get the app, but you have to go through the registration and credit card stuff first.

I'm not certain though.

6. m2uk thread starter macrumors regular

Munkle: Thanks for the tip but I need something to catalogue all sorts of stuff I've saved ((old adverts, news clips, documentaries, free films (i.e. archive.org) etc.

The company is very clear (taken from the link in my original posting) about the current status.

iFlicks is no longer available.

Helixent Technologies is sorry to report that iFlicks is no longer available, at least for the time being. Due to a situation that has arisen, we have made the decision to halt further distribution of iFlicks.

We would like to note, to the people who have already installed and/or purchased iFlicks, that we are not aware of any serious technical problems with iFlicks. If you have a copy, it will continue to function as normal. The situation that has caused us to cease distribution of iFlicks is in no way something that will cause undesirable effects to any computer in which iFlicks is installed and/or running.

At this point, we can not say for certain what the future holds for iFlicks. We were and are really excited about the capabilities it provides in allowing people to organize and play movies. Ideally, iFlicks will return in the coming months, as an even better and more useful application. However, we are still looking into our options to resolve the issue we are having, and cannot make any promises. We can make one assertion, though. If and when iFlicks returns, it will be a free upgrade to anyone who has already purchased a copy.

Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot provide further details as to why we have made the decision to halt distribution of iFlicks. As soon as we are aware of further details which we can make public, we will post the information to this page. If you are concerned or otherwise interested, just periodically check back to the iFlicks web site.

We'd like to thank everyone who has expressed their support and satisfaction with iFlicks. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes, and we hope that we can make it up to you in the future. Unfortunately, the situation at hand has forced us to make this very disappointing decision.

7. Benj macrumors regular

Looks an injunction or a threat of one. They know that talking about it publicly will only make their situation worse.

(Looks like Apple legal are very busy these days...)

If it were anything else (negotiations to sell the software to another party) the tone would be differently.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why would you assume that Apple has anything to do with the removal of iFlicks from the market? When Apple legal makes a move against anyone, it is widely reported. I infer that your assumption is based on the fact that this app has the iTunes look and feel. It is a Macintosh application. As such, iFlicks is expected to look and feel like other Macintosh apps. Having read Jared Hanson's statement on the Helixant Technologies website, I find it just a bit self-serving. It is most peculiar that iFlicks is no longer even listed on VersionTracker.com. Read the user reviews of the app on MacUpdate. I get the feeling that Apple legal is the least of Hanson's worries.

9. m2uk thread starter macrumors regular

ERR, ASSume?

Did you read my original post? It didn't assume anything but it merely questioned whether they were behind it.

There is nothing "guaranteed" that we should hear about every move Apple Legal make. You have assumed that there could be a negative reason, i.e. take-down request (by your inference). It might be, but there's nothing to say that one who gets a Nastygram has to publicise it. Indeed, if such a notice was received, maybe the receipient feels that not waving things in the air may mollify the giant.

I further note you have (deliberately?) chosen to misrepresent my comment about look and feel. Of course it should follow HIG et al but, arguably, maybe it should NOT look so close as an existing Apple program (ITUNES) and effectively seek to duplicate functionality albeit in a form for a different medium (video as against audio?).

In fact, I wish they had continued with the app as it would be ideal for my needs.

"Having read Jared Hanson's statement on the Helixant Technologies website, I find it just a bit self-serving."
    It actually looks to me as if they need some PR/marketing help and PERHAPS a "small company scared" situation. Of course, I make no claims as to whether they have received such a Nastygram OR DONE ANYTHING WRONG.

"It is most peculiar that iFlicks is no longer even listed on VersionTracker.com."
    IF THEY are not distributing it, on advice or on other reasons, it is not so strange but "many" know that there can also be fake or "err, driven" comments on Versiontracker and their ilk.

Your motivation, however, and defence of the action seems more interesting...