Could Apple's market share grow if...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by GregUofMN, Jul 5, 2005.

1. GregUofMN macrumors regular

A thread in a different forum made me think about Apple's market share and how it could explode.

Currently, macs are virtually non-existent in fields like medicine, computer science, engineering, architecture, business, etc. But, do you think that if Apple made mac-specific software (that are typically used in PC dominant fields) would their market share dirastically increase?

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Engineering and architecture are actually big markets for the mac. As for your theory, I have doubt about something like that. But, maybe it's because i really don't understand what you are trying to say. :eek:

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Sure, they could make headway, just like Apple's media tools have made headway into that business. However, the likelyhood of Apple creating specific software for all those fields meantioned is highly doubtful...

4. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

I doubt it. Businesses and schools make a large investment in certain setups. Everything has to be standardized--the hardware and software. So if schools and businesses have already spent millions on Dells running Windows XP and a specific Windows-only version of their scientific software, why would they switch? Besides, I think the home market for computers is much bigger than the scientific market. Apple should just start advertising their products more to get a bigger market share

5. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Architecture, sure, but engineering? What type? I'm an electrical engineer and have never used or even heard of others using Macs at work. All of the big programs like Mathcad, SPICE, Quartus, etc. are Windows-only.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Even Apple themselves list Windows-only software packages as required skills when they advertise engineering positions.

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

To increase market share, Apple could try to lower the price point of the Mac, shifting the demand curve.
    (I'm a little burry on econ right now, as I haven't had to think in a long time, haha)

But if they lowered the price point, people would see Apples as more of a comparable good instead of a luxury. Since there really is no comparison between Macs and Windoze (IMO), the sales would go up, and the company would make more money by selling in volume.

We all win:
    Steve jobs gets a new yacht,
    We (apple users) don't have to fix our friends' windows machines anymore
    and
    macrumors will win, because there will be a huge influx of Mac-addicts coming to the site, causing more hits to advertisers, giving MacRumors more money, allowing them to give people with awesome ideas (quite like this one) free 23" monitors and stuff. :D :D

mmmm.. half-baked idea. :D

8. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Wouldn't that be great... :rolleyes: ;)

9. GregUofMN thread starter macrumors regular

Obviously the contributors to this site would have a different opinion, but I would have to say that the majority of people that use PC's at work, come home and use a PC because they have the familiararity with those specific machines. Business are upgrading systems, software, machines all the time so I don't see why that would be a huge problem. I think that it might be more of a user problem then a financial problem.

10. GregUofMN thread starter macrumors regular

Engineering is a small market for the mac and architecture isn't far off. Architosh is probably the best CAD programs for mac-users, but it's definetely not widely used.

To re-phrase my question: Since Apple does so well integrating their software and hardware, do you feel it would be beneficial to create the software for fields that are primarily PC based (ie, engineering, computer science, architecture, medical, etc)

11. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

How about this.

.mac, pay only after the first year.
    Applecare, charge after the first 90 days of phone support ends.

Apple takes a lower profit now, long term they make more.
    Consumer can pick up a Mac mini for 299.
    They pay the rest slowly over time.

Everybody is happy... hopefully.