Could be a new player in the PC market

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/02/27/fortune.ff.legend.pc/index.html

Very interesting article, haven't seen a Legend computer myself, but this little bit sounds like there might be some shakeup in the PC world if things start selling overseas.

"But it also innovates-its consumer machines are sometimes compared to Apple's. Not only do they run Windows, but the so-called "dual-mode" devices also run Legend's own easy-to-use operating system. CFO Mary Ma told the Times that the company plans to double its R&D budget to between 3 and 5 percent."

D

2. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

3. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Yup, as the article mentioned, Legend is a major player in the Mainland Chinese PC market. I used a few of their computers before when I was studying abroad. The computers were nothing special, of course, as Legend's bread and butter business is building and selling your standard beige box. However, the company has grand ambitions, and it has the goal of becoming the IBM of China by selling not just commodity hardware, but high-end tech goods and consulting services. It's definitely a company worth keeping an eye out for.

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, they mentioned in the article about Legend's other business ventures with cellphones, pdas and subnote book computers. Taken with the innovation and R&D they do (quite a bit of money even at the 4-5% level) they do seem poised to make a rumble or two when the move out of their home market.

Fine by me, though. A little more competition never hurts. :D

D

5. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I'm not sure. I was wondering the same thing, so I went to Legend.com, but it was all in chinese.

6. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife