Could Cherry OS be real?!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by munkle, Mar 8, 2005.

1. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Looks like Cherry OS might not be vapourware after all! :eek:

After making many boastful claims and subsequently disappearing it looks like Cherry OS is back and might just be real. Here's a very interesting thread from another forum (didn't realise such things existed! ;) ), where posters have put up screen shots of Cherry OS in action. It is also claimed that it is faster than Pear PC.

Still not sure of the point personally, if you want the MacOSX experience buy a Mac! (Saying that I have got Virtual PC on my Macs! :eek: )

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

How great is it that most of the posts are "i want os x! goodbye windows!" I thought a product like this (and yeah, wow i'm surprised it was real) would turn out to be terrible, but maybe it really will make people crave the hardware. Interesting all around.

edit: after reading through the whole thread, it looks like a lot of people think it's a PearPC ripoff? but that the PearPC engine is improved nonetheless... I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of it...

3. munkle thread starter macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm surprised to hear people so excited about it as well, although I am aware that it is a 'geeks' forum. I wonder how many people are just excited at the novelty factor of being able to run OSX on their PC's though...look, it's the genie effect - wow! Kinda like the buzz of having a Linux iPod.

From what I gather you need to have OSX install discs anyway, so I'm not sure what the target market is.

4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Honestly, I always thought it was real...

I thought it was because it is made by a COMPANY, not some new business - they wouldn't release a fake program and ruin their company...

CherryOS I DID think was a PearPC rip.

5. brap macrumors 68000

Anyone with BitTorrent, for sure.

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Target Market:
    - Windows users who want to try OSX
    - People with OSX install discs
    - Downloaders of cracked OSX (after all, CherryOS is stolen from PearPC...)
    - People who will cough up the dough

They don't seem to have a target market because it isn't like a good enough program... in the future maybe.

It is NOT aimed at people who want to use anything in iLife... there is no sound and lags in imaging on a 512 MB RAM PC... and not aimed at people who use Windows XP with more than one person

I have read about this and have concluded, so far:

-A rip off of pearpc
    -Edited from pearpc as it is much faster and more stable
    -Not worth it yet, wait until sound is implimented at least...
    -Will not be around in like a year, if 1) it doesn't sell or 2) apple sues it for a lot of money, losses of their computer sales, etc. 3) Apple buys it...

7. angelneo macrumors 68000

I downloaded the trial version and tried to install OS X on it but give up half way through as it is way too slow for my P4 2.6. Seems to me like they took the pear PC source and make it their own by changing a few things here and there.

8. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

So, the objective here is to run OS X on cheap, crappy hardware at half the performance, or worse. Does that about sum it up? Who cares? I wouldn't waste the time or bandwidth to download it. This just opens up the opportunity for M$ users to experience OS X and come away with "OS X is slow as molasses; who wants that?" Look at all the post here about VPC performance; joe user doesn't understand it. Stay away, stay far, far away.

9. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I'm at my family's house for spring break and installed the CherryOS software on my brother's PC. Then realized I left my Panther install CDs back at college. Guess I will try it out on my PC when I get back up there.

My old roommate has an iBook and is trying to install it on VirtualPC. What a moron! OSX through CherryOS on Windows 2000 through VirtualPC on an 800mhz G3... Bet it will work like a charm!

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Just downloading it now, so I can try it on my mum's Celeron 2400.

11. angelneo macrumors 68000

Don't bother installing, people. It ran much slower than my G4 400Mhz when i tested it on a 2.6 P4 with 1 Gig ram.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hopefully the next version of PearPC will be better. There must be some improvements in the CherryOS code which should make their way back into the PearPC code.

Edit: Hmm, I can't find a link to the source code on their site. I thought the GPL required the source to be available. :confused:

Edit 2: When you go to download CherryOS, the licence presented is for VX30 (one of their other apps). So it looks like I can do whatever I want with CherryOS :p

Edit 3 :eek:: I'm pretty sure that they're ignoring this:

(from §1 and §2 of the GPL)

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

CherryOS always WAS real.

The problem was, their source code was PearPC, repackaged. It IS PearPC, with a different GUI to make it look different. It's called stolen source code.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I sent them this:

They replied with:

:eek:

So not only are they not crediting PearPC, but they're denying it too! I don't see how they can really deny it, because it plainly says PearPC during booting when you set the prom bootmethod to 'select'.

15. angelneo macrumors 68000

I think they must have received quite a number of complaints judging from the forum link that munkle provided. Hopefully, someone at PearPC do something about this. I hate them take credit for stuff which they did not do. Not just credit but money too.

16. munkle thread starter macrumors 68030

munkle

The debate over Cherry OS was not just over whether it existed (it's not hard to make a product when all you're doing is just repackaging another product) but whether it could ever back up its claims. Kryeziu claimed to have written the software from scratch, obviously not true, and that Cherry OS performs at about 80% of the speed of the PC's host hardware, again obviously not true. In that sense we are still waiting to see the real Cherry OS.

17. munkle thread starter macrumors 68030

munkle

What's the difference between a COMPANY and a business registered in 2003?

18. sparky76 macrumors regular

Anyone here actually tried it yet?

Oops, just saw the above.

19. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Holy Sour cherries batman... that's cr*p ... :eek:
    As long as it doesn't perform as it claims, it will be Vaporware for me and
    IF (yeah big IF) one day it will perform as it says I won't say "Sorry" because I don't care about it... The PearPC group deserves credits on this...

20. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Wow!!! That's a great way to treat potential customers that are concerned about the open source movement.

21. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

LMFAO! Cherry OS SUCKS! After waiting for 5 minutes, I got the gray Apple screen.

Then a kernel panic.

Great software. :)

22. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

well it seemed like it was about to install Panther, but I only had my upgrade discs here so I couldn't go on any further. Tried Jaguar but it just sat for 20 minutes

23. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

If you're screwing around with CherryOS, you have too much time on your hands. Not to mention they are obviously unethical shzts.

24. brap macrumors 68000

If this passes without civil action, then the whole GPL is worthless. Of course, there are other bizarre "exceptions" like the Linux PCI handler code allegedly used in Risc OS 5, but this is a complete app.

The cynic in me says you might as well pick up as many GPL'd apps as you can, while you can, repackage them and sell 'em. This could get really out of hand, and damage the whole open source concept beyond repair.