Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The only mystery to me is excactly how they thought they could convince us that is was NOT a ripoff of PearPC. :confused: :confused:

I mean, it's fairly bleedin' obvious to all and sundry. Kudos for allegedly making it run better, I guess.

rtdgoldfish said:
My old roommate has an iBook and is trying to install it on VirtualPC. What a moron! OSX through CherryOS on Windows 2000 through VirtualPC on an 800mhz G3... Bet it will work like a charm!

That is the emulation equivilant to bending down, putting your head between your legs and shoving your nose in your own rear end - unpleasant and pointless.

:eek:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
daveL said:
If you're screwing around with CherryOS, you have too much time on your hands. Not to mention they are obviously unethical shzts.

Why is this fraudster getting so much free press? It would be different if the headline read "Stolen code illegally released", but as it is you might think CherryOS is something other than someone elses stolen property.

At least this time the schmuk has taken the "trouble" of removing all references to PearPC in the binary. Sadly he's too stupid to remember to change the configuration file format, or the hard coded MAC address that PearPC uses for the emulated NIC.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have to agree with others here, unless these guys get stomped on we might as well sh*tcan the entire GPL idea. Cherry OS is making the legitimacy an viability of open-source software a farce.

It doesn't matter how much better than PearPC it performs (and it doesn't seem to anyway), it is stolen code. This could become a disturbing trend.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Reanimation_LP said:
LMFAO! Cherry OS SUCKS! After waiting for 5 minutes, I got the gray Apple screen.

Then a kernel panic.

Great software. :)

I got that too. Putting it in fullscreen fixed it (presumably turning on mouse capture would fix it too).

For the record, OS X took about 1.5 hours to install (base system only) on a Celeron 2400. On the other hand, it took about 20 minutes under PearPC on a 1 GHz Athlon (under SuSE Linux). Since both apps are built on the same code, I suspect that Linux is faster :)

Or it's entirely possible (probable?) that I'm mixing up numbers because I installed PPC quite some time ago.

Edit: Slashdot says this:

Its creator, Arben Kryeziu, found himself in hot water last year amid claims the software was simply stolen from the open source PearPC project. With the code now under public scrutiny, it appears that such allegations are true.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Here's the discussion on Cherry OS in the Pear PC forums. From comments there it seems pretty obvious that Cherry OS is merely Pear PC repackaged with a few tweaks.

Interesting quote from one of the developers:

Admittedly, he's talented at modification. There are many improvements here that Ppc could use, most of which are on our list of things to add. For instance, children windows, the installer system, etc. If he would contribute his changes to the code to the community in exchange for not being sued, we could all profit. Personally, I hold him no ill will, as long as he will admit it's borrowed code..

It'll be interesting to see how this story pans out.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
rtdgoldfish said:
My old roommate has an iBook and is trying to install it on VirtualPC. What a moron! OSX through CherryOS on Windows 2000 through VirtualPC on an 800mhz G3... Bet it will work like a charm!

Sounds like something I would do..... but:

I would install CherryOS onto my Athlon 2500+ then install OS X then install Virtual PC then install CherryOS then install OS X

And see what happens. :rolleyes:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Nermal said:
It'll be so slow that you'll warp the space-time continuum.

I gotta try it out then.

What if I tried the above, but on a Pentium III 500 MHz? :eek:

Space-Time Continuum damage, here we come!
(this weekend, so you have time to prepare for the apocalypse. :D)

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Mechcozmo said:
I gotta try it out then.

What if I tried the above, but on a Pentium III 500 MHz? :eek:

Why don't you throw in Mac-on-Linux in the mix as well. :D

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
its uber slow.. install took 2 hours.. i got to the "welcome to mac os x registration" screen and it just froze there every time..

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Mechcozmo said:
To quote a hero of mine, "Now to unleash screaming temporal DOOM!"

It'd be kinda fun, in a sad way, to work out how many clock cycles on the host machine it took to run one on the deepest embedded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.