could disk utility have caused this

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mith, Dec 10, 2006.

1. mith macrumors regular

ok so i have parallels desktop for mac, runs windows ,it's fine, but today after shutting it down , i repaired disk permissions, ( and i know i didn't delete any files) but an hour later when i went to parallels my VM (virtual machine )was missing,i looked everywhere but file just disappeared??? anyways reinstalled the windows, but why would it just disappear??

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

What build are you running?

Your Win[bl]ows installtion is fine, repairing permissions wouldn't affect it. You just have to reconnect your vm to Parallels (it has a nasty habbit of losing said connection for some people).

Can't remember what filetype the Parallels VM config files are, but the diskimages are .hdd so you can always Spotlight .hdd.

While you're doing that, why not try the new beta, its awesome.

3. mith thread starter macrumors regular

thx for the reply

am running build 1970 , but not sure which version of parallel tools am running , am if there is an-update d,don't know where to get it..so if some one could provide me link...cause i know i didn't update my parallels tools...

and also if how would u go about reconnecting the parallels to the VM??
    like i say the list of VMs i had and the one i wanted wet down to 2KB?? so i just reinstalled windows, now it's ok
    and if i upgrade to the new beta, do i have to reinstall my VM? if not what's the procedure

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

It isn't in the autoupdate because its beta, but its looking good and you'll be able to auto update soon. I found the link on the Parallels forums (http://forum.parallels.com/thread5997.html). Keep in mind that this is beta software, and while I haven't had any problems with this particular build, I have had issues with previous Parallels betas.

So you've reinstalled Windows? I can try and help you reconnect your old installaton if you like (better than starting from scratch, no?), its really quite easy. The config filetype Parallels turns out to be .pvs, so you can type that into Spotlight and pick the VM that was your orignal Windows installation.

Alternitivley, these config files are kept in <username>/library/parallels/<vmname>/<vmname>.pvs. (as shown in screenshot)

5. mith thread starter macrumors regular

ok thx

i will do that. but if that's so is there any way i can share the VM with my sis who has another account as administrator on this computer , if so how,, and specifically what do i move and where. and also how do i install the beta..does parallels have to be on when i do?? and do i have to install new parallels tools after installing the beta build, if so how ??,

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

This all sounds fun, but lets take it all one at a time.

Sharing a VM between two users isn't something I've done before. I'd assume you'd have to put the config and diskimage in the drive's [Macintosh HD] root, or another place readily accessible by both accounts. I'm yet to try it, but I'm sure its been dicussed before so you could Google it.

After making any changes to Paralles you should update the tools by clicking on Actions (in the menubar) and then on Install Parallels Tools.

7. mith thread starter macrumors regular

thx for the reply

ok i got the beta version installed, any to get that start menu away,,in coherence mode??

8. hodgjy macrumors 6502

start menu

You could try two things. First, set the task bar to auto hide. This way, it's just a small line above your dock. I tried this, and didn't like it much. So, I moved the task bar to the stop of the screen. This way, it's just below the Mac menu bar. It's pretty slick when set up that way.