Could Disney be working with Apple on a new Gaming Console Called Toy Box?

Discussion in 'Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion' started by gto55, Jan 6, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

gto55

Apple back in the console wars ?

Could Disney be working with Apple on a new Gaming Console Called Toy Box?

2. macrumors 68000

Sounds like an awful idea that would just bleed more cash for Disney. I think - if done right - it could really cripple Nintendo, who I thought of when I saw those blatant DS rip off drawings.

Disney could very easily take away the kiddie gaming market from Nintendo. Kids these days don't care or perhaps even know about Mario, Zelda, etc. They have no real incentive to buy into the Nintendo brand unless their parents introduce it to them. Many families have a Wii because it was the only family friendly option on the market. Disney could capture this.

However, this market does not seem large enough in my opinion to result in a profitable move by Disney. Start up costs for any console - let alone a next-gen one described in the blog - are astronomical. Then you need to get developers to hop on board. After that, then you will most certainly have to sell at a loss for some time.

Is Disney willing to risk that much to what is certainly a stretch gamble? I know it is Disney and the war chest has to be pretty stocked, but I'm not sure that's a smart bet worth placing.

3. macrumors G3

rhett7660

As long as it has a Disney on it, not Apple I am all for it. Apple can help with the UI and design but I hope they stay out of this area.

4. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Doesn't Disney have loads of these 'consoles' its just that people don't classify or see them in the same way they do with Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft.

[​IMG]

If Disney are working on a new console, I imagine its another e-leaning bastard child.