Could Drug Ads Be Bad for Your Health?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by smueboy, Feb 1, 2007.

1. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

This is an interesting article from ABC News: What do you think about the barrage of drug advertisements on television?

It feels like big pharma advertise drugs in the US like they were breakfast cereal.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would hope your doctor would know what drugs to give you rather then you telling the doctor what you want.

3. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

Wake up People!

I worked in a health food store for a year and it completely changed my outlook on this horribly corrupt world we live in that's dominated by money. 99% of the diseases out there, even the "fatal" ones are curable by means of over the counter supplements and alternative therapies. The FDA refuses to recognize this and continues to brainwash people into thinking that they need to put chemicals in their body's to fix things, because if they cured the diseases, they'd lose lots of customers and lots of money. The truth is we are not living any longer (actually half to only a quarter of our potential) then we were before western medicine. Western medicine has improved on one thing, Emergency Care, that's it! I've seen people who were considered terminal and the doctor's were basically not even going to treat them who have come into our store, and on the advice of our expert switched completely to organic food, took real multivitamins (not these synthetic crappy ones with barely anything in them), had themselves cleansed both by supplements and colon irrigation and within two months the cancer was gone. All without chemicals (Actually quite the opposite, the removal of chemicals from the diet). The ignorance of people amazes me when i see them popping anti-biotics (poison!), prescription medications (more poison!) and cheap multivitamins that do more harm than good. Anyway I've officially vented. Do some research people, it's not too good to believe, I once thought nothing of this and saw all of it proven to me by means of working at a Health Food Store and experiencing it first hand. My own mother used to have terrible Asthma that almost killed her several times. She had to take a treatment once or twice a day, was on two prescriptions of the highest dosage possible, and to this day is on nothing and she can exercise and is no longer allergic to pollen, and we now own three cats! This world is just extremely corrupt but perhaps someday We'll be looking back at the FDA and the Pharmaceutical companies and ignorant doctors like we look at cigarette company's today and commercials for them from the 50's.

4. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I think they should be banned - I think they are in Canada.

Bad for your mental health - makes you wonder what the hell you got :confused: if you listen to them.

I am fortunate in having selective hearing, along with a good remote :D

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

They are banned in Canada, but we get enough American TV to see them all too often. :(

There's one that's particularly bad, it only tells you it's name and that you talk to your doctor about it... it doesn't even tell you what it does!!!! Maybe they did that to get around listing the 50 or so nasty sounding side effects. :rolleyes:

6. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

ummm...don't you, and the healthcare store you work at, and the manufacturer's of the products you sell make a profit from selling these goods?

I completely agree with you, the world is dominated by money...

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, they aren't really advertising the best drug for the patient -- but the ones they make the most profit on.

How many of the advertised drugs have been pulled off the market since this all began? Likely quite a few with some serious reactions.

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It's good to see that Kevin Trudeau has joined our forums...

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

We've got our fair share of dodgy crappy ads but thankfully we're spared the mind-numbing barrage of "sideeffectsmayincludehairlossnauseaandanalleakaaaaggggeeeeee" drug ads.

We don't have drug ads here.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Cornflakes and Lithium please.

The US is pretty over-medicated as a whole. Eventually it will be enough of a problem that the "ask your local drug pusher [doctor] for ______" ads will cease. For now they're resting on their dopey laurels while people put up with it.

11. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i've also noticed that every day it seems there's an ad for a new drug for a new condition that never existed before. i think it just causes a lot of people to become hypochondriacs.

IMHO, a few little aches and worries never hurt anybody. :rolleyes:

12. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

I have been against drug companies advertising to mainstream consumers for this exact reason.

I even have a problem with the "wining and dining" I understand that drug company reps do to doctors. Of course doctors should be aware of treatment options, but I would hope that a doctor would have enough integrity to only recommend a drug they think a patient really needs... By the same token, I would hope that a doctor would refuse to prescribe an unnecessary drug simply because a patient requests it.

Have to give some credit to ABC News for biting the hand that feeds them. Most commercials on the evening news broadcasts seem to be for some medication or another (no doubt because of the shows' demographics)... Personally, I'm sick of hearing "and if you experience an erection lasting longer than 10 days, there may be a problem". Oh, really?

13. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

You've got to admit, that's the most comical side effect ever! :D

unless you're that dude with the perma-erection. :p

14. noaccess macrumors 6502

There's an even better one, like for example... people on a particular antidepressant climaxing whenever they yawn :eek:

15. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well now I can see a whole new market for this drug with lonely insomniacs... :D

16. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

:D

17. TRUTH macrumors newbie

we don't have drug ads..
    drugs are soo baaad on our health..
    i think drugs are like cigarette
    they both cause brain damage and also cancer

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I think Bill Maher put it best when he summed it up when commenting on an add that said "tell your doctor" about some advertised drug.

19. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I hate the blanket "drugs are bad" statement. Yeah, I hate all those drug ads as much as the next guy, and I only take drugs when I feel I really need them. But when I feel I really need them... damn right I'll take them!

On the topic of alternative means of healing, I'm all for that too... but when the alternative form costs MORE than the drug? Don't think so.

I hate it that we have the idea in this society that natural, healthy stuff needs to cost more than the unhealthy stuff. You shouldn't need to be in a higher class to get stuff that is good for your body. Organic apples should not cost more than a friggin' hamburger. Whole Foods should not require you to spend your Whole Paycheck. It just doesn't make sense.

Sorry for the mini rant, it just bugs me.:mad:

20. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

It makes perfect sense when you figure in yields per acre, ability to provide artificial nutrients, etc. Organic foods cost more because you can't overuse the soil, you can't nuke pests to death with chemicals and you can't force plants to overproduce. If you don't want to spend your whole paycheck, then you can spend your time growing them yourself.

21. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Is it illegal in the US for pharmaceutical companies to "pay" doctors to prescribe their drugs? This might explain the explosion of drug ads on TV.

It's always funny to see US ads for "restless leg syndrome" and I never knew people had that problem. Especially true for ads that affect mental health, I think those drugs are not necessary and cause more problems than they purportedly cure.

22. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I think there are enough hypochondriacs already... no need to see endless drug ads to turn more people into one.

23. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

ROTFLMFAO I literally laughed until I fell out of my chair when I read this.

There are too many drug ads, but what can we do? Until the public as a whole learns that these ads are complete bulls**t, these ads aren't going anywhere.

24. smueboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I think it is; but they can (and do) pay doctors to give educational seminars to other doctors (accompanied by expensive 5-star dinners). That way they educate the doctors on the benefits of prescribing their particular drug over others, and it all comes from a 'knowledgeable' source. [i know some who give the presentations, and it is quite lucrative!]

25. Georgie macrumors member

An erection for longer than six hours is a medical emergency. Your penis liable to die if that is not addressed immediately. Erections occur because blood is trapped in the penis. Trapped blood is not flowing blood; blood that's not flowing is not oxygenated; lack of oxygen in the blood means lack of oxygen in the tissue it perfuses, and that means tissue necrosis: your penis dies.