Could G5 notebooks be closer then we think?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mccaffreye, Jun 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mccaffreye macrumors newbie

My school is requiring all architecture majors to rent an Apple laptop from them each year.

They already ordered at least a thousand G5 laptops and expect them by this September. This definately seems out of the question.

Obviously Apple has been working on them for some time now though. Is there any chance that Jobs just wants to get people who are holding out to buy whats left of the G4 ones, and the G5 ones getting out just after years end (January)?

2. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

just curious but, where did u hear "G5" u sure it wasnt a mistake and it was ment "G4"?

-Neal

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you "know" they already ordered G5s, then you know a lot more than most of the other people -- considering that would put you on the inside on a non-disclosure agreement.

Though Apple is real good at selling today's machine on a large PO, and delivering the current machine available at the time of delivery.

4. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I want to be an architect. I'll be a junior in high school next year, so I'm already thinking about what kind of laptop I'm getting for college. Do you think a Mac will be fine? I'd hate to be forced to go back to using windows during college. So do Macs support all the programs necessary to study architecture?

Sorry, I'm a little off topic, but its not everyday I get to talk to someone in architecture that uses Macs.

5. mccaffreye thread starter macrumors newbie

Sun Baked:
    Actually, the school sent out an e-mail to all architecture majors. They can't just charge them an extra couple thousand dollars when they arrive on campus.

zulgand04:
    I read the e-mail they got. I also heard some administrators talking about them. It was definately a G5.

johnbro23:
    I am not an architecture student, sorry. Three of my roomates were; so I talked to them about this as well as read the mail they got about it.

If Apple says not this year, I believe them. It seems that they were planning to have them ready for spetember at least a 6 months back. Its probably a heat issue, so I wonder if "not this year" could mean January.

6. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

Thats very interesting indeed. That would be so cool, if it is true and when exactly apples definition of a year is lol. Like an article i read a few weeks back talking bout the "year of the laptop" and an apple employe (don't remeber who) said yea we were useing a metric year. well anyways i hope ur info is true, im looking for a new laptop for college and if the G5 is out then thats my baby, if not a crappy dell lol.

-Neal

7. goodwill macrumors regular

a G5 notebook! Thats classic! I know you meant PB, but it was still humorous enough. It will be a divine day the g5 PB come out however.

I was curious however, my girlfriend is an Architecture Graduate student at Rice University and everything she works with is Auto CAD. Everything, I mean everything she does from rendering to 3D models to sections or sustainability is used with Auto CAD. I understand Vector Works does a nice job as the Apple version of Auto CAD and some people have had nice things to say about Architosh, but unfortunately, I know that with everything that has been demanded of her and her peers by the faculty and the institutions she has and is attending stray away from Apple Powerbooks and Power Macs because of the Auto CAD incompatibility. They tend to leave that for the Graphic Design students and the developers since Apple is more balanced in that spectrum than with specifically Architecture. Considering 90% of Firms, University's and people in general recommend and expect Auto CAD, is having a Powerbook wise for Architecture students? I realize, that the bump in 128mb graphics card recently does extrememly help with rendering, but beyond that, isn't Apple more graphic oriented and still a step behind in being a powerful force in the Architecture realm due to the spacious incompatibilities?

8. legion macrumors 6502a

That's pretty funny! First, an architectural school knowing about G5 PBs before everyone else and then second that this supposed architectural school isn't using AutoCAD (which isn't available on Macs.) What kind of podunk school is this? Please...

There isn't a G5 powerbook coming anytime soon,

A school wouldn't find out information first, and

This must be the lousiest architectural school and I hope the graduates know how to flip burgers because when they leave, no one will hire someone who can't use AutoCAD.

9. DMann macrumors 601

DMann

G5 notebooks might happen sooner than later

With the 90nm 970 FX, a 1.5 Ghz chip
    could feasibly fit into a notebook without
    overheating............ not likely until
    the Power5 is scaled down further
    to 45nm when the 980 chip is developed
    though..............

10. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

LOL! Winner....!!!! ....for worst comment of the day. Thanks for playing.

11. mccaffreye thread starter macrumors newbie

Well they are forcing tem to get Apples: http://www.wit.edu/laptop/ (The mention of a G4 is what they suggested for last year - if a student got one they are not forced to get a new one - not what they were planning on getting for next year, although they will likely end up with those ones)

The school does teach AutoCAD. Do you actually think each student went and bought AutoCAD and installed it on their personal machine? They didn't; they used the lab computers, which they will still do. I guess you have no argument now.

Please quit trying to troll and hijack the thread. The topic is: My school WAS expecting G5 laptops, which means Apple is at least working on them, do you think they will be out early next year? Post about that or create your own thread, please. Weather you think my school was lying to the whole student body is not the topic, so make your own thread if you feel the need to post about that.

If a mod can remove the irrelevant posts I would be gracious.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Of course Apple is working on G5 Powerbooks but they are probably working on a lot of things right now that nobody knows about. Don't hold your breath for a G5PB for a while because it won't happen until at least late spring of next year and even that may be generous. It will come out when its ready but don't get your hopes up because I doubt that it is even close. They are having a hard enough time reaching 3 ghz so a G5PB is the farthest thing on their minds right now.

13. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

What architecture software do they use on Macs????

My cousin and her fiance are both architects, I've never seen macs in any of their workplaces, and they have both worked 3-4 large firms each before.

14. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Whatever you knew what I meant. The combination of Apple stating in the past few days that a G5 laptop won't happen anytime soon and your school's "G5 order" makes a sensible person question your school.

I don't troll and there will be no apologies because I never said such a thing about what Apple is or isn't developing, so stop the spin.

Well it better be September or your school is going to be disappointed when they crack open those boxes. I can tell you my bet is on January, and that's the earliest.\n|n/

15. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Speaking of hijacking the thread

So which is it... was?

or is?

Or how about comedy?

16. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

All architects I know are on Macs.

17. legion macrumors 6502a

Where??? No major architectural firm uses Macs.. why, because AutoCAD doesn't run on Macs. Plain and simple.

I'm sorry, as pro-Apple as you can be, the architectural business is not centered on Macs as long as AutoCAD doesn't run on it. NYC, LA, Chicago, Tokyo, London... doesn't matter. AutoCAD is the equivalent of Photoshop to the design community.. sure there are some people who don't use it, but they are a really tiny minority.

18. legion macrumors 6502a

Why, because I'm telling the truth and you don't like it? Live in the real world.

19. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

So, what autoCAD programs are available on macs just out interest?

and OBVIOUSLY, Apple is working on the G5 powerbook. PC laptops with AMD processors are already 64 bit.

20. legion macrumors 6502a

None. AutoDesk (the parent company of AutoCAD) only supports one Mac application through their subsidiary Discreet (and that's Discreet Combustion.)

There's Solidworks, VectorWorks, Arcintosh, etc.. but no major architect firm uses them.

21. unregbaron macrumors regular

22. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

ya steve jobs called me earlier this morning just to let me know my G5 Power Book is cooking a grilled cheese as we speak, and as soon as it's done, he's going to pack it up and ship it. along with the grilled cheese of course. talk about customer service, steve's such a nice guy.

unless you want a Power Book labeled CAUTION CAUSES 3RD DEGREE BURNS WHEN IN CONTACT WITH SKIN. DO NOT TOUCH. you're not going to have a G5 PB in the next year...or should i say twelve months.

23. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

those are rev. B PB's. nothing special there. although that's weird they're only open three days.

24. mccaffreye thread starter macrumors newbie

They ordered them back in January, mabye even earlier. They also sent the e-mail to students way before the announcment of no G5s this year (I have been out on vacation for almost 2 months).

My whole question was if anyone thinks they would be out in January; you could have said "yes" instead of trolling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.