Could I be ANY MORE P*ssed???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by SpaceMagic, Nov 26, 2003.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

If I didn't have company - I would cry :p Call my insane about waiting for a computer but everything has been against me.

My iBook is slow, even writing this now I can write a whole sentence before the letters apear on screen... . l..a...g. I needed a new mac so 9 months ago (yes 9 months ago) I started saving up for the MacExpo in London.

Got there on 22nd November, had fun although it wasn't half as big as i imagined. Went to buy - 3 left instock on their computers ..... dissapper sales assistant... repear sales assistant with no boxes!! Eh?

"None left" she said... my huge grin faded with a BIG confused face! She said the stock control computer must be wrong or they've only just been sold. I was not happy - after waiting 9 months my heart sank to an all time low.

Got home, feeling dissappointed. But NO! Because while surfing the internet looking for a good webstore to buy from, i realised what I actually wanted was a 1.8 G5 - no longer the 12" PB.

I'd never been so thankful in my life - I knew I had finally found the machine I wanted as it had come down in price with the introduction of the dual 1.8. So I ordered.

Monday 24th, an e-mail - "Credit Card verification failed" - we phoned to sort it out - a simple mistake on the postcode (zip code in US). So I waited all today (wednesday) in school - excited as can be :) Imagining myself using my all fast new machine.

In car on way home, my dad said it hadn't arrived... My heart sank once more... I was so annoyed, i was panicing stupidly!

But opening the door of my house revealed my dad was joking... pulling my leg as it were. I had never been so happy than this afternoon! It arrived! I had it! Everything out of box asap... the 3 very easy steps to plug in (power + usb keyb/mouse + DVI).

On it goes...

No startup chime... odd?
    Fans making strange noises... odd?
    No image on screen... WTF!

I tried everything! Phoned Apple and the really cool guy gave me lots of things to try but nothing came on! He said its advised to get in contact with the reseller and get them to take it back and send another one.

So I missed the closing time by 10 minutes while on the phone to apple. Never been so p**sed off! My heart is on the flour.. as everything has gone against me!

Surely there is a 1 in a 1000 chance of getting a DOA machine. How did I get it! So annoying :(

2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Dude. I'm so sorry. That blows seriously. Hope it all works out.

3. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

samething with me, i had ordered a dual 2.0 g5 in august. then when the powerbook 15 inch came out in aluminum, i decided that i really wanted a new laptop instead (replacing my 500mhz ibook) so i cancled my order and got the powerbook. the day it was schedualed to arrive, all day at school i was imagining myself opening the box of my new powerbook etc. got home only to see that damn FedEX thing on my door saying they had come, and we were not there. so the next day i was just as excited (my dad picked it up from the fedex place) came home from school, waited the usual time for my dad to come home from work.

and finally he came home with my new laptop. i opened turned it on ASAP, BUT, when i first created my account upon the first boot up, i chose the same logo as i had with my ibook, i said "hey cool now the lightning actually moves"(there was red flickering). then when conecting to apple, it crashed, anyways boot up two, at the login screen "man that animated lightning is cool" i log in. hmm.. there is alot of red stuff were there shouldn't be..

long story short i needed to get a new display. go my new display, and it too needs to be replaced (has that problem with a bunch of white spots) but i have not brought it yet because i do not feel like having no computer with me at school.

so i feel your pain

aetheir

4. kanker macrumors 6502

My 12" PB will probably be spending the next 36-48 hours across town from me. It's Thanksgiving here in the States tomorrow, so everything will be shut down, and once my PB clears customs, it will go to the Fed Ex shipping hub here in Indianapolis (which is where most if not all of the Fed Ex airplanes go first in the US) and will be sitting just a few miles from me, helpless and unloved. The thing was supposed to be here this morning.......

5. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Hey, Thanks for the replies guys... I've woken up today a bit happier :) I always try to find a silver lining - if I get it replaced by Friday then i have all weekend to play!

Maybe not... the reseller's DOA policy is to take back broken one FIRST then send another one after. I'm phoning them at 9am to give them the biggest b*llucking of their lives :) (Sorry about the coarse language!) Hopefully, my dad being italian ;) ;) he can use his skill to get them to send another one and pick up the broken one at the same time - like many companies do!

I'll keep you informed - hopefully I will be posting on a G5 before Christmas LOL

6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Don't apple have some quality checking procedure, like testing before they ship?

Hey, here's an idea take the graphics card and RAM out and say that when it arrived they weren't their. That'll throw em. Ship it back or take it to your nearest apple store and demarnd a replacement because some of the parts are missing. Hell they can't prove that you have the parts at home and with all the problems thier having they'll probabley think nothing of it.

7. Beigean macrumors newbie

to us americans, "bullocks" isn't a bad word. it is, however, a defunct department store. so feel free to say it without censorship.

8. Macette macrumors 6502

you're absolutely entitled to a DOA replacement. I had exactly the same problem with my dual 2 ghz, and now that they've been around a while, people tell me that it's to do with the video card coming unseated during transit... there's something a bit bodgy about the way it's put in or something.

anyway, i'd been waiting like 2 years for the G5 to come out, and i know exactly that heart-has-stopped feeling you get when you turn it on and it doesn't play.

but rest assured, when your working one arrives, and you've got it all set up, you won't have a moment's trouble with it. mine has just been amazing.

so fast, so stable. mmmm.

9. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Strangely enough the graphics card in my PM G4 was loose when I got it. The retaining screw was actually rolling around inside the case. Fortunately I opened up the machine before I booted it to check for stufff like this :rolleyes:

10. Icekey macrumors member

Fair dinkum mate. Sad to hear such a horror story. If it makes you feel any better, it's been crap as with my 15" powerbook. After getting my iBook stolen in August after owning it for less then 3 months, I had to get another one to do my uni work. So I took a loan from my parents, did a lot of research into what would be the best thing for me to purchase. I came across the 15" which was just released and thus took the dive. I also bought an iPod since they had a special deal when you bought the two. I was quoted 3-5 days for the iPod and 10 days for the powerbook. After 3 weeks, I finally recieved the powerbook. I couldn't have been happier. No dead pixels, nothing. Beauty. 2 nights later, after playing around with pixel testers what not, I saw the white spots. I took it back to the dealer where I bought it from and the guy there said it's the first one that he's seen of any 15" Alubook brought in, and the 1st for the white spots. He said he'll recommend a DOA for it. At that point, I knew that a DOA would mean an immediate replacement as soon as they could get it in. Since it was a CTO, I had to get it sent in. Anyways, cutting the story short, it's been 5 weeks since getting it as a DOA and no sign of when I'm going to get a replacement The white spots are annoying, especially with a solid background. Stupid dealer won't talk to me on the phone, giving excuses such as, oh the person is busy at the moment. I've called over 5 times this week, and all up probably 30 times and never have I received a call back. The bad story doesn't end there. The iPod never came. After waiting for 7 weeks and hearing everyone else walk into other dealers and walking out with an iPod, I cancelled it and got a refund. Now i just want a refund on my stupid powerbook. The powerbook that is in front of me is not mine, and thus I can't love it. My dad is angry with me for buying a product that I knew might have issues with and is not happy with me. Anyhow, we all are obviously playing the waiting game and it reallly really sucks.

11. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

manito, they do. And not everyone who orders a mac gets it doa.
    Frankly, I had 4 different pcs bought from different places for the last 6 years and every single one had some sort of a problem on arrival. The worst one was Hp with your favorite athlon in it, which basically was just as good as doa.
    Consumer reports named macs the most reliable comps in 2002. way ahead of dell by a good %. So, i'm not quite sure what ou are implying there.
    My G5 came with faulty Video card which wasnt apple's fault at all. It was damaged during transportation. And i got a new card the next day after talking to a applecare guy.
    There are faulty comps out there and someone has to get them. And where do those who get them go first? here. That's why it seems like so many people have problems with macs.

12. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Just keeping you posted...

Apple have picked up the machine this afternoon. They are checking it, repairing if can or sending a new one. Does anyone know how long it takes for apple to check a machine?!

Thanks in advance

13. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

In the US it takes about a week ... who knows in other places.

14. Lou macrumors newbie

"I was quoted 3-5 days for the iPod and 10 days for the powerbook. After 3 weeks, I finally recieved the powerbook..."

Lucky you! I ordered my 15" Powerbook soon after it was announced in late Sept and I've been told told that it probably won't be here until mid-December! Apple should get its production/shipping issues sorted out before they announce new product lines.

Still waiting!

15. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

That bites, I'm sure can walk into an apple store here in adelaide and I can pic one straight up. Qhat kind of upgrades did you have ordered?

P.S: it took my local computer less than 1/2 an hour to aquire me a stick of 512mb SDRAM. That's service.

16. Lou macrumors newbie

No upgrades at all...I ordered a standard off-the-shelf portable!

I also know of many others in my situation! The irony is that I just moved to Sydney from Adelaide...so there you go!

17. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

That's a bummer. Ok, Here's what you need to do: Cancel your order and make a few phone calls. There has to be at leats 1 apple dealer in Sydney with a stock 15" PB in stock. Failing that get one sent over drom here.
    Good luck;)

P.S: Cash on the counter Speaks Real loud.
    Do this: dump $3.7G's on the counter in cash and say that if I can't have a powerbook now I'll be back tomorrow, however when I come back in tomorrow if I still can't have one I'm taking my business elsewhere.

If you do that you'll be leaving with a new laptop or anything else you want very very soon.