Could I buy this and this or do I have to buy this? External Enclosure vs. HDD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by slooksterPSV, Jun 29, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok, I need a DVD-ROM drive to install Tiger on my iBook. I would rather go with a Firewire external enclosure for hdd and cd/dvd than have to buy two separate things. But can you boot off of an enclosure via Firewire? or do I have to find a Mac compatible DVD-ROM external Drive and do it that way?. Thanx this will help me figure out what to buy Friday at Comp or Staples or off the internet.

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

you could ge tiger on cd media , it would be a lot cheaper than getting a dvd drive.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I agree thats probably the easiest option, apart from the time you have to wait for it to arrive and the $10...

ShadOW ;)

4. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I purchased an enclosure and have installed Panther using it, at higher speeds than with the iB CD-ROM. It doesn't read to well. And you know how burners before - or even now if you burn to fast for CD player - made CD's have that noise at the start like a ticking. No matter what burned CD I use I always get that ticking noise. So I think the external is better. I can purchase all the upgrades I want for it - except for Maxtor hard drives. They won't work on a Mac + they won't be seen via Firewire in the enclosure (USB yes, but not firewire).

5. deebster macrumors 6502

Depending on the DVD burner in your external enclosure you may need to use Patchburn to add full burn support under Tiger. Find it at macupdate or versiontracker.

I've never heard of Maxtor hard disks not working with Macs. Perhaps they come formatted as FAT 32 (PC stylee) but you simply reformat it using Disk Utility if that's the case.

You may need to check that your enclosure is able to see disks of greater than 128 GB. Some older ones cannot, but without a bit more info on your equipment it's difficult to say much.