Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NOLF1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Hi everyone -

Given the new lock screen alerts on iOS 10, is it possible that iPhone 7 could have something like Android ambient display or always on display? It seems to me that this would be one of the most obvious areas to focus on (given that most new android phones now have such features), and it would also be on of the easiest to implement.

I just don't know if the blank screen/no indication of alerts whatsoever unless you happened to see them when they came in thing is going to be competitive anymore.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi everyone -

Given the new lock screen alerts on iOS 10, is it possible that iPhone 7 could have something like Android ambient display or always on display? It seems to me that this would be one of the most obvious areas to focus on (given that most new android phones now have such features), and it would also be on of the easiest to implement.

I just don't know if the blank screen/no indication of alerts whatsoever unless you happened to see them when they came in thing is going to be competitive anymore.

• iOS 10 introduces a "raise to wake" feature that will turn your iPhone screen on if you pick it up.
  • Apple spends millions of dollars on Research and Development so they are quite aware what features/services they may be losing potential customers to.

Last edited:

NOLF1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
  • iOS 10 introduces a "raise to wake" feature that will turn your iPhone screen on if you pick it up.
  • Apple spends millions of dollars on Research and Development so they are quite aware what features/services they may be losing potential customers to.

Research and Development is an engineering endeavor... not a market research endeavor. I'd suggest you take some business classes in college to understand the difference between the two.

I've been directly solicited for my feedback from almost every company I have done business with... that includes Pizza Hut, Toyota, Chase, and a myriad of others. Never once Apple. I'm not aware of any Apple efforts to directly solicit user feedback. Now that you bring that up, it's kind of worrying.... Perhaps something to do with Apple having iPhone sales sink for the first time ever? If this last WWDC was any indication, it might be time to start soliciting some customer feedback.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi everyone -

Something like that wouldn't make that much sense at least until the screen technology used for that would not use up as much battery as it would otherwise, so if things were to change to AMOLED or something like that, then it would be more of a possibility, but if the underlying screen technology remains the same for the next iPhone, it doesn't seem likely.

Reactions: timeconsumer

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Hi everyone -

I'm not sure it would be easy to implement without causing a significant decrease in battery life with the current iPhones. As far as the iPhone 7, I would say it's possible, sure why not as we do not know the specs. If they move to a different screen such as an AMOLED display, then it would be more of a possibility.

Also, Apple wants to have each customer own as many products as possible, so they would prefer to have the Apple Watch handle the notifications. I think they are heavily pushing people towards an Apple Watch with the improved integration with iOS and MacOS as demoed at WWDC.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Research and Development is an engineering endeavor... not a market research endeavor. I'd suggest you take some business classes in college to understand the difference between the two.

I've been directly solicited for my feedback from almost every company I have done business with... that includes Pizza Hut, Toyota, Chase, and a myriad of others. Never once Apple. I'm not aware of any Apple efforts to directly solicit user feedback. Now that you bring that up, it's kind of worrying.... Perhaps something to do with Apple having iPhone sales sink for the first time ever? If this last WWDC was any indication, it might be time to start soliciting some customer feedback.

Before directing me to go to business school did you ever take into consideration that the doing away of Carrier contracts may be contributing to the decline in new iPhone sales more than Apple "not being competitive anymore"?

For almost a decade you could get a new iPhone by paying $199.99 and signing a 2 year contract with a Carrier. This applied to new customers and existing customers who wanted to upgrade their iPhone every 2 years.

Now if you want a new iPhone you have to cough up $650.00+ up front or take on the burden of an additional $37.00 per month on your cellular bill for 24 months.

The average consumer who doesn't have money to burn will most likely hold on to their iPhone a bit longer than 2 years or wait longer to purchase a new one.

A 16GB iPhone 6S with AppleCare comes out to $800+. Who can spend that kind of money every 2 years?

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Before directing me to go to business school did you ever take into consideration that the doing away of Carrier contracts may be contributing to the decline in new iPhone sales more than Apple "not being competitive anymore"?

For almost a decade you could get a new iPhone by paying $199.99 and signing a 2 year contract with a Carrier. This applied to new customers and existing customers who wanted to upgrade their iPhone every 2 years.

Now if you want a new iPhone you have to cough up $650.00+ up front or take on the burden of an additional $37.00 per month on your cellular bill for 24 months.

The average consumer who doesn't have money to burn will most likely hold on to their iPhone a bit longer than 2 years or wait longer to purchase a new one.

A 16GB iPhone 6S with AppleCare comes out to $800+. Who can spend that kind of money every 2 years?
That actually effects every single other phone manufacturer too. Not just Apple. That's also why Apple introduced the update program and some carriers have an IPhone update program as well.

Reactions: bhayes444

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
The consumer was spending that much every two years with a subsidized phone. You think carriers were eating much or any of that cost? They just built it into the price of their plans.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
The consumer was spending that much every two years with a subsidized phone. You think carriers were eating much or any of that cost? They just built it into the price of their plans.

A few years ago my wife and I could have gotten 2 new iPhones for a little over $450.00 and continued to pay the same monthly bill we budgeted for to begin with.

Today, if I want to accomplish the same goal I either pay $1400.00 out of pocket or pay an additional $76.00/month?
[doublepost=1467086990][/doublepost]
That actually effects every single other phone manufacturer too. Not just Apple. That's also why Apple introduced the update program and some carriers have an IPhone update program as well.

You are correct it does impact all manufacturers but since the topic was the decline of iPhone sales I tried to stay on topic.

Last edited:

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
A few years ago my wife and I could have gotten 2 new iPhones for a little over $450.00 and continued to pay the same monthly bill we budgeted for to begin with.

Today, if I want to accomplish the same goal I either pay $1400.00 out of pocket or pay an additional $76.00/month?
[doublepost=1467086990][/doublepost]

You are correct it does impact all manufacturers but since the topic was the decline of iPhone sales I tried to stay on topic.
My phone bill went down. When you add back the monthly amortized cost of the phone I'm right back where I started.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013

Sorry to hear that. If your carrier doesn't offer you the ability to receive a monthly credit for bringing your own phone, then it seems they have given you the shaft by taking out subsidies and keeping their same pricing. My family saw much cheaper rates when switching to an unsubsidized plan.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Sorry to hear that. If your carrier doesn't offer you the ability to receive a monthly credit for bringing your own phone, then it seems they have given you the shaft by taking out subsidies and keeping their same pricing. My family saw much cheaper rates when switching to an unsubsidized plan.

You're missing the point. This was a few years ago. Currently I'm paying $132/month for 3 iPhones with a 10GB data plan. All 3 phones are out of contract.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I got a promotional from Verizon on a 6s at $549.00 with a 1 GB plan at $50 per month. More than a year ago it would have cost me much more. Now you can pay for one phone, and get another free.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
You're missing the point. This was a few years ago. Currently I'm paying $132/month for 3 iPhones with a 10GB data plan. All 3 phones are out of contract.
That point being what? I get that you were saying before you had budgeted a certain amount for your bill and could pay $450 for 2 new phones. Now, it costs more up front or per month to spread it out over time. That doesn't take into consideration any "discounts" given for bringing your own phone. If all you cared about was up front cost, then you are correct a subsidized plan is best for you. Ideally the $76/month more would be the difference between the subsidized plan and the unsubsidized plus the $450 spread out over 24 months ($18.75). If it costs more that way, then yes you are getting screwed on service; which is why I said what I did. If it costs the same, then I see no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.