Could it be a virus? -erratic freezing on my G4 imac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by petersmall, Oct 26, 2003.

1. petersmall macrumors newbie

My iMac, after a year of reliable operation, has begun freezing at random intervals. Sometimes it works for an hour or two. Sometimes only a few minutes. Very frustrating.

The light goes out in my mouse and the cursor no longer moves. Sometimes (but not always) it will start working again if I unplug the mouse and then plug it in again.

I'm using OS 9.2.2 (because I like to use Hypercard)

I've tried all the recommended solutions(rebuilt the desktop, zapped the pram and re-installed the system software).

Any idea what can cause this? Could it be a virus?

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Also done a "Clean Install" of 9.2.2?
    Meaning a new System Folder, w/o 3rd party software. Also sure that the USB cables (mouse to keyboard, keyboard to Mac) are perfectly OK?

3. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem with an old G4, and it turned out to be some bad blocks on my harddrive. So maybe you might want to check your HD.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Your mouse could be bad. I was working with a lab of the Indigo iMacs this summer, and one of the computers was crashing at odd intervals, and I found that by switching the mouse with another computer, everything worked fine, and the other computer started acting up. Before you do anything as time-consuming as doing a fresh OS install, I would suggest trying a mouse that you know works fine (i.e. borrow one from a friend).

5. petersmall thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is not with the mouse, keyboard or USB cables because I have replaced those from another machine and still have the same problem.

Bad blocks? How do I check this? I've used the disk doctor. It doesn't show any problems. Is there any shareware or freeware programs that I can download to to check out all the blocks?

Haven't tried a "clean install". How do I do this safely? How do I get a new install into a new folder? I'm a bit nervous about trashing the existing system folder.

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

What I'd do is backup all your data, then wipe the hard drive. Reformatting will take care of most problems. Then, just reinstall your system software and restore your backup.

7. petersmall thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think (fingers crossed) that the problem is now cleared.
    I hadn't realised the significance of a 'clean install'. I thought this was being done when I reinstalled the system software.

What I ended up doing was to start up with the 'system install' disc and then renamed my system folder. The re-install then created a completely new system folder for me.

To my horror, this wiped out all of my preferences for all applications. Applications were asking for my registration number. The Internet wasn't working. I lost all of my e-mail correspondence.

I had a few moments of panic. Then I made a copy of my old preferences folder and used this to replace the new preferences folder that had been installed. Voila! Everything worked as normal and the bug seems to have gone.