Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FoxSquad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
California
Hi guys. I have an issue with my MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011. It's running OSX 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion). Whenever I go to school to connect with the wifi (beachnet), it keeps giving me this connection timeout error. However my other friends' laptops can connect to it. When I connect to any other wifi network, it does work perfectly. My iPhone and iPad can connect to beachnet as well. But not my MacBook Pro. Can you guys help me out with any advice on how to fix this problem? I want to have access to the Internet at school so I can finish my work there. Thank you in advance. Much appreciated if helped.

MacCrazee

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
Hey FoxSquad, I am having the same issue, and would like to know if you were able to resolve this?
I am running 10.8.1 and my connection keeps timing out everytime I try an connect. It was working fine till two days ago, and now it won't connect.

Pls let me know if you were able to resolve.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I got rid of this problem by upgrading to an Airport Extreme. This probably means that the previous router I had (Motorola DCM-604 or something like that) was a POS.

MeliFelipe

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2011
go to settings>network>advanced>wifi, and highlight the network name, and remove it from the list of preferred wifi networks, if it is anything like the network at my school it should help

liontamer67

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
East Coast
public wifi not working on macbook pro 2011 mountain lion

Okay this is weird. I have the same computer as the original poster. I followed this web page's advice. It didn't look like it worked and so I just closed up my laptop (didn't turn it off) and put it in the bag. About 20 min. later I went back to it and opened it and it said I had wi-fi. I am not sure what worked exactly and it may have been the last piece of advice about safari looking like a windows program. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/answ...ot_connection_issues_on_public_wi-fi_networks

Question:
Larry writes: While traveling recently I attempted to connect to an airport’s free Wi-Fi on my MacBook Pro running OS 10.7 Lion. Although I could connect to the same network on my iPhone, my MacBook Pro would not connect. Strangely, when I rebooted the MacBook Pro into Windows 7 via Boot Camp, the connection worked fine.

What’s going on with OS X and this Wi-Fi network?

Answer:

All things being equal, and especially considering that the same hardware was able to connect to the network using Windows, OS X on your MacBook Pro should have no problem connecting to this network. All things are rarely equal, however, so here are some troubleshooting steps you can try if your Mac is having difficulty connecting with, or communicating with the internet from, a wireless network.

First, change, or add, a DHCP Client ID. This is usually not necessary but some networks require it. Go to System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced. Head over to the Hardware tab and select and copy your MAC Address (a series of letters and numbers separated by colons).

Now go to the the TCP/IP tab and paste your MAC address into the DHCP Client ID box. Press OK and try to disconnect and then reconnect to the network.

If that alone doesn’t work, go back to System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced > TCP/IP and click the “Renew DHCP Lease” button. If your difficulties are caused by an expired DHCP-provided IP address, this should solve them.

Enter a DHCP Client ID and Renew your DHCP Lease

Finally, if you’re actually connected to the network but when you load Safari nothing happens (or you receive a “Browser/Platform not supported” type of message) it may mean that the wireless network has been configured to block Mac users.

Thankfully, there’s a way to trick the network into thinking that your Mac is actually a Windows-based platform. First, go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced and check the box “Show Develop menu in menu bar.” This will place a new “Develop” menu in Safari’s menu bar in between “Bookmarks” and “Window.”

The Safari Develop Menu’s User Agents List. Select a Windows-Based Browser

Select “Develop” from the menu bar, then “User Agent.” You’ll be presented with a list of different Mac and Windows browsers that you can have Safari masquerade as. Select the most recent version of Internet Explorer or Firefox for Windows and then attempt to reconnect to the wireless network. Safari will tell the network that it is actually a Windows browser and, if the problem was due to artificially blocking Macs, your browser should load the network’s sign-on page without issue.

Reactions: Ted939

Midale

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Connection Timeout occurred

Hello,

I have a macbook pro 13'' and just a couple of hours ago my internet was working perfectly fine. Then I started to skype someone and after a minute it just got disconnected. I dont know why I tried to connect again and it says conection timeout occurred. Iv shut down my computer and stuff still didnt work. Really weird since it worked perfectly fine before. I can connect thru ethernet cable same network. but not wifi.
whats wrong? help

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
This issue has recently reared its head for me, too. No hardware changes, no software changes, nothing. Occurs regardless of the network I try and join.

fariss

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Possible fix for 'connection timeout'

Ive never posted on a forum before but after spending hours reading forums trying to find a definitive answer without luck, I thought I would share what solved my problem in the hopes that some other poor soul scouring the net would find this as a solution.

First, I too had the 'timeout connection occurred' issue with my MBP running mountain lion 10.8.2 when trying to connect to my home network - a network which I had previously been able to connect to without a problem.

After hours of fussing with my modem settings and reading forums I stored up enough patience to call my ISP (century link).

Here is what did the trick:

1. The issue was that the radio channel (frequency) for the wireless had somehow interfered with the radio frequency of my television which sits one foot from my wireless modem.
2. I was told to switch my radio channel on my modem to channel 9 as this channel does not interfere with other radio channels such as televisions, cordless phones, and other misc devices. (He also mentioned that channels 6 and 11 do not interfere).
3. I changed the radio channel setting by logging into my modem configuration settings. Once the channel was changed, I rebooted my connection on the modem as well as on my devices and they all connected again.

I never would of guessed this. I hope this helps someone else.

Reactions: System32

Ted939

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
San Diego, CA
First, change, or add, a DHCP Client ID. This is usually not necessary but some networks require it. Go to System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced. Head over to the Hardware tab and select and copy your MAC Address (a series of letters and numbers separated by colons).

Now go to the the TCP/IP tab and paste your MAC address into the DHCP Client ID box. Press OK and try to disconnect and then reconnect to the network.

That worked for me - thanks!!
Me, by the way: Late 2011 MacBookPro, OS10.7.5

System32

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2018
Possible fix for 'connection timeout'

Ive never posted on a forum before but after spending hours reading forums trying to find a definitive answer without luck, I thought I would share what solved my problem in the hopes that some other poor soul scouring the net would find this as a solution.

First, I too had the 'timeout connection occurred' issue with my MBP running mountain lion 10.8.2 when trying to connect to my home network - a network which I had previously been able to connect to without a problem.

After hours of fussing with my modem settings and reading forums I stored up enough patience to call my ISP (century link).

Here is what did the trick:

1. The issue was that the radio channel (frequency) for the wireless had somehow interfered with the radio frequency of my television which sits one foot from my wireless modem.
2. I was told to switch my radio channel on my modem to channel 9 as this channel does not interfere with other radio channels such as televisions, cordless phones, and other misc devices. (He also mentioned that channels 6 and 11 do not interfere).
3. I changed the radio channel setting by logging into my modem configuration settings. Once the channel was changed, I rebooted my connection on the modem as well as on my devices and they all connected again.

I never would of guessed this. I hope this helps someone else.

I created an account just to confirm that this was the issue for me. I also spent a great deal of time trying to solve this problem and with this post finally found the solution. Just wanted to add that to change modem settings, just google ["service provider" modem change channel] if you are confused as to how to login to modem settings. Thanks fariss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.