Could Panther kill my Logicboard??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rdarsa, Jun 17, 2004.

1. rdarsa macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've got someone who has an old I-Mac 300mhz original bondai.

They had 9.0.4 and tried to run the setup program for panther 10.3.4 (I think - but definately panther) without updating the firmware or OS first.

The install program stopped when it found issues with the firmware, but the procedure seemed stalled and would not exit. Now we have a dead I-mac -disk ejected not wanting to start of any disk including the CD!

The mac went to the h/w docs and they said that it fried the logicboard and a newone must be fitted - I want to know if this is possible, as I have never heard of Software having such an effect and don't believe they will actually change the board.

We did try the internal reset button, but only when the machine was not plugged into the mains. Should we have tried it while plugged in?

The machine starts, but seems to go to sleep after a few seconds, with nothing ever appearing on the screen. - the light stays on and the button seems to be depressed - a bit like me really!

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard.

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

iMacs that are updated to OS X without updating the firmware first make excellent doorstops, but lousy computers.

Now, for some reason the updater on the Panter disk doesn't seem to work as well as the one downloaded through software update in OS 9. You might want to take that up with Apple. Other than that I don't know what to tell you.

3. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

It's highly unlikely that the failed install fried the logicboard. Check out this page for trouble shooting iMac video/firmware problems.

4. rdarsa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that link - it could save my life.

There is obviously a lot of holes in this upgrade and the guy wants me to pay for the new logicboard and Maybe if I show him that page he may let me off.

Is there any more info on this?? I wish more people had Macs!

R.