could some one help me with my new camera. SONY DCR_HC32

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Rickay726, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Rickay726

i just got my DCR Hc 32 for xmas i love it it takes good videos...but how ever i was wondering why when i take a still picture the quality is sooo crappy. it actually looks like a camera phone its that bad. is there anything im doing wrong. PS i have the quaitly set to fine but it dsnt make a difference some one please help me.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I doubt you are doing anything wrong. Camcorders just make very, very poor digital still cameras.

Lethal

3. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

i have that camera as well. do not plan on using it for real as a digital camera. it wasn't built that way.. not meant to do it.. with the size of that thing the ccd must be crap..

4. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

its like using a psp as a music player.. it will work, but it seriously sucks

5. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

I think any camcorder that also doubles as a digital camera and shoots still pictures any less than 3MP just isn't going to look that good. That said, I have no idea what the MPs for the camera in question are. But I would rather take still shots with my cell phone than a camcorder. Think of it as a "neat" side feature that you probably shouldn't buy a camcorder for. Not yet anyway, but they are getting very close . . .

6. Rickay726 thread starter macrumors 6502

Rickay726

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The HC32 only has a 1/6" sensor and the pixels available for taking pictures is only about a megapixel (you have to go up to the HC90? before you get 3.3 megapixels from the camera) - add in that the stabilisation doesn't kick in while you're in the video mode and if you're zoomed in, you're not going to get decent pictures.

Best suggestion I can offer (if you're just looking for snapshot size) is video the footage and then take a still frame from within iMovie of the snapshot you want.