Could someone please point me in the direction of a Firewire PCI for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by register, Dec 4, 2006.

1. register macrumors newbie

hey... sorry for seeming dense. I'm not at all familiar with PCI connectivity. I'm looking for a FW 400 expansion card that'll work in my MBP 17" C2D. Is there a specific one for macs, or can any old PCI express 34 do the job?
    I'd appreciate your help
    thanks
    tom

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

With two FW400 capable ports already on the machine. :confused:

I know Apple tends to have problems with port powered FW devices, but the expansion card may work with high powered devices either.

Edit: If that is the issue. A powered FW hub may work.

3. register thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly a FW isn't an option for me. My current and only firewire 400 is being used for an external sound card, and you run into so many issues when running a soundcard and other devices on the same bus. The other devices I'm hoping to use on firewire ports will have their own power supply, so if i doesn't give enough bus power, that shouldn't be an issue.
    If I was going for the PCI option, are there any recomended models? Are such PCI expansion devices mac / windows specific?
    also- a minor detail... do they extrude out the side of the machine, or will it be able to sit all the way in?
    thanks
    Tom

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

5. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Reggie -- you do know that the MacBook Pro has an ExpressCard/34 card slot, not a PCI slot, right? Searching for PCI will lead you in wrong directions...