Could someone recommend a good, inexpensive, USB hub?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kingsly, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Uhh, read the title. ;)
    I need: Keyboard, Mouse, JumpDrive, iPod, and Printer.
    Thanks.

2. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I use an adaptec X hub and it works great for my needs. It is USB 2.0 and powered.

3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Price? I really don't have much to spend... but I want something that wont break on the first day.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This is something i'm looking for too for around £10-£15 ($15-$25).

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Belkin, D-Link, LynkSys....all have 4-7 port powered hubs in that price range. Do NOT buy one without a powerbrick!

Google, Pricewatch.com, ebay.uk = your friend, yes ?

6. Oblivious macrumors 6502

I can't get a link for you right now, but MacMall has a 4 port USB 2.0 I Rocks hub with a power supply for $0 after rebate. I have one and, well, it works like it's supposed to.;)

Edit: Here's the link if you are still wondering.
    http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~446257.asp
    ;)

Edit 2: Hmm, it says on the site that it isn't self-powered, but that's a lie. I bought that exact item from MacMall and it has a little power cable running down to my power brick.

You can also buy it from here: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail~DPNo~639413.asp

7. T-Stex macrumors 6502

There was one that looked like Godzilla, a while back, I'm not sure if they still make it or not, but it was kinda neat.

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I have a Belkin one and I got it for cheap; works great.

Got it at Best Buy.

9. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I think thats firewire. I wanted it soo bad but couldn't justify it (only two FW drives currently)

Okay, heres a question for ya: When it comes to hubs, is there a difference between USB 1.1 and 2.0 or is it a marketing ploy so they can charge an extra $10? I understand the difference when in comes to the device/controller, but isn't a hub just rerouting it?
    Thanks.

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well it's like trying to run 3-4 fire hoses (USB 2.0) down to a garden hose (USB 1.1 hub). While the printer may work other things just won't as there are slight differences on the inside of the hub for the 2.0 to "pass through". Just like USB 2.0 won't work with your Apple keyboard even though it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

11. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

A USB 1.1 hub will only ever work at USB 1.1 speeds (ie max of 12Mb/s). Any devices attached to a USB 1.1 hub will also only work at 1.1 speeds.

If you want USB 2.0 speeds (max of 480Mb/s) then the hub must support USB 2.0.

12. superwoman macrumors regular

Check out eCost. They frequently have $0-after-rebate items. A USB hub is typically one of them.

But be warned, though, the rebate can take months.

13. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i have one from iogear that i bought from newegg. $26 for 6 ports (4 back/2 front) and a cf/sd/ms/etc reader. i think they make a 7 port version with no card reader for around the same price.
    i think it's iogear at least....small, white, nondescript, etc.