Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Parts of what you are saying are interesting and I am not against something like that. But it seems that the direction Apple is headed is in apps being self aware of file types that relate to them as apposed to the user doing the work like in archaic file systems.

If they do expand in this area I would be a bit surprised. I think they have many other things on their radar prior to what they have already designed as such. I wouldn't expect anything in iOS 5. The big thing I am hoping for is a new notification system and continuous client type integration between iOS devices, Macs with 10.7 Lion, and a new MobileMe. I think those are safe bets!

I agree that apps do and will be aware of the files they can use. But each app is a silo and for heterogenous filetypes this is a problem. Images are dealt with by the image library api, but it's a limited api and doesn't handle all the other filetypes out there. You can't even share data between applications created by the same company. Secondly, you only have to look at the pages/numbers & iTunes filesync UIs to realise they are interim steps, they do not scale and don't allow you to pull files from anywhere other than their filesystem sandbox.

Last edited:

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I agree that apps do and will be aware of the files they can use. But each app is a silo and for heterogenous filetypes this is a problem. Images are dealt with by the image library api, but it's a limited api and doesn't handle all the other filetypes out there. You can't even share data between applications created by the same company. Secondly, you only have to look at the pages/numbers & iTunes filesync UIs to realise they are interim steps, they do not scale and don't allow you to pull files from anywhere other than their filesystem sandbox.

Yes but that type of implementation is obviously set up as such for security reasons. I am glad Apple has been so proactive on the security front with this new mobile computing revolution.

I agree there is room for improvement, but I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. We need something between the two. Android fans will just support the archaic file system as Android itself it basically just a rehashed version of past mobile platforms mirroring a windows desktop while copying the iPhone in other areas. I would elect for a new paradigm which if anyone will bring it will be Apple!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
No, of course not. But where to leaks come from that get reported? Where do the leaks come from that generate development of prototype cases, which generated this very thread? I just wouldn't be surprised if there is occasional misdirection on product releases to confuse which ones are true and which are not.

In this case....the mind of someone at Orange-Byte. IMO.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I doubt it.

Lightpeak is more like a replacement for PCI than USB.

does iPad sync require a high speed connection? Maybe, but there are more innovative application for Light Peak than just a USB/Firewire replacement.

obyte

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Boston
In this case....the mind of someone at Orange-Byte. IMO.

I just received the cases and details from my wholesaler. I sent these pictures over to the staff here a couple weeks ago. These are brand new designs and are apparently final specs. I have more pictures and closeups I can link if people would like to see.

The port is big enough to fit a standard USB cord but it might be slightly too narrow/shallow for a standard Apple USB cable. Possible IR port seems plausible.

Last edited:

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
I doubt it.

Lightpeak is more like a replacement for PCI than USB.

does iPad sync require a high speed connection? Maybe, but there are more innovative application for Light Peak than just a USB/Firewire replacement.

Light Peak/Copper Peak doesn't replace Mini DisplayPort, USB or Firewire, it enables them to be carried over the MagSafe connector so the ports can be relocated to the power brick.

It is likely you will be able to charge and use the ports from both a MacBook Pro as well as a future iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.