Could the iPhone be without the most important feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LVdustin, Jan 14, 2007.

1. LVdustin macrumors regular

Ok, so I know this is my first post, but I have read so much stuff about what people want in the iPhone and what it is probably going to include.

Many being 3G, or Java in Safari, or special wireless syncing.

But lets think about this. All cellphones these days, even the little ones have this main feature BUT! will the iPhone have it. I haven't heard about it including it.

Will it have vibration in it?

many complex smartphones, that utilize certain things aren't able to have it, because it wont fit, or that some feature wont allow it.

But with the special vibration in the iPhone and its such small size, will it be included? I mean if not, then maybe Apple has some special silent mode that is something revolutionary. But I have yet to hear of core phone features like vibration.

I am stupid, I know, you all are, "Of course you they will have it, its the freaking iPhone."

But...I havent heard or read anything of it yet, and I am beginning to wonder. :eek: :confused: ;)

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, don't be, i kinda remember it doesn't have vibration mode, i might be wrong, and i can't find where i read it before.

3. gavd macrumors 6502a

I think I remember seeing this question somewhere else, but it didn't get answered because no-one is sure... I could be wrong though.

4. LVdustin thread starter macrumors regular

Ok like picture this....everyone knows what those dog whistles are right? How dogs can hear it really well in that certain frequency?

What if the silent mode....emitted some special frequence where you can only hear it.....easy and old idea....although it would have to be cleaned up a bit...but could be creative and simple.

I don't know...there could be a million ways.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

they are selling to human, without physical exam, so, lol, if u can hear it, then ppl sitting next to u in movie theater probably would here it too.

maybe use different sense, like ...

an electronic shock?

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It doesn't even have a ****ing battery. Deliberate planned obsolence in the name of "look! no seams!" Jonathan-****ing-Ives design.

I am so going to laugh when it fails.

7. LVdustin thread starter macrumors regular

What are you talking about?

Haha....an electronic shock might come in handy. I have been trying to think of how other Apple devices notify us. iPod has a alarm feature and that click noise. But ofcourse still emits a sound....I think its time for us Apple fans to give some input on this one. I mean...Apple engineers are stumped sometimes.

8. uNext macrumors 6502

hahah i cant believe people are actually lining up to buy a CELL PHONE without a removable battery?

Is the economy that good that peopel are willing to spend half a thousand plus for a phone that does not have a user replaceble battery.

I cant wait for people to complain about their battery being faulty and having to send it in to apple for repair and be left without a phone for 1-2 weeks until it gets repaired.

On a mp3 player is fine but on a phone? lol

have fun my treo 680 still run laps around the iphone
    3rd paty support means the world for a cel phone device

Here's to apples frst flop of the next 20 years the second being the apple tv

9. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I think you're beginning to drive some of us crazy with your pessimism...

(at least me, anyway :D )

How many times have you replaced the battery on your Treo?

Personally, I've never replaced a battery on any of my devices - my laptop, cell phone, or mp3 player. And if you really need to, just send it into Apple and they'll replace it for you, right??? :confused:

10. LVdustin thread starter macrumors regular

The only battery I have had to replace is my Macbook Pro...when they did the battery recall...other than that, no problem....Why is the battery topic such an essence in every product? If the product is able to fulfill the costumers needs regardless of battery life or not.

if the iPhone doesnt or does work. Its because consumers need more...or something different. There will probably never be a phone that is able to supply something that everyone needs. While some need WiFi...they need Bluetooth instead...if someone wants a touch screen...others will want a hands-on QWERTY keyboard. So no matter what....no product including Apple will probably never be able to own the whole cellular phone industry..But with my expierences with phones. I will be buying one. Its Apple! and every company that I have expierenced with in my field have never fulfilled none of my expectations except for Apple Inc.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

not after ur warranty.

and if the battery is non-removable, im not sure if they can change battery as simple as u might think

12. uNext macrumors 6502

The point is i am 100% that the batterys beng used are ION batterys
    which means that a batch will be faulty (not holding a charge etc)
    how annoyin to have to send the phone in to get it replaced because apple wants you to be a return customer?

Maybe the market for the iPhone is people that have time with their hands and can afford loosing their important contacts for 1 week or so.

But come on seriously is apple thinking about its customers or just thinking about the repeat sale?

Last i checked the limited warranty is of 1 year. What after? you have to pay 300 dollars to get if fixed on top of paying
    600 for it? Instead of just buying one for the price of 50-100 and i am exaggerating on battery value.

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'd imagine you could take the iphone to an apple store and have the battery replaced on the spot. that's the way i would do it anyway.

14. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Last time the battery came out of my cell phone was when I dropped it on the floor and it popped out. Don't mind not having that happen.

What world do you live in?

<walks into Apple store>
    "My phone needs repair"
    <rep>
    "Okay, we'll take a look, just pop out your sim card, and here's your loaner until we're done.

15. LVdustin thread starter macrumors regular

But understand this....When you buy the iPhone...you are backed by Apple under its warranty...If you buy a Trio...or a Motorola...you are basically backed by the cell phone provider...so...what if you dont pay insurance. you have to go through the problems of trying to get a free battery replacement...or buying a complete battery. So no matter what...why would it matter for removable or not. A battery is a battery.

16. uNext macrumors 6502

I live in miami florida EARTH is the worlds name
    and i highly doubt they will have lenders for you.

Your making it seem like apple is this great customer service company.

I wish they had lended me a macbook pro loaner when it stopped working otu of nowhere.
    was without a computer for 1 week lucky for you if they treat you like royalty

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, remember, non-removable means it might not be separate parts,

18. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Huh? How could they not be separate parts? They have to manufacture this thing and at some-point connect the battery to the rest of the phone... I can't imagine they would be welded (or attached or however they would do that) together. The iPod's battery is non-removable but it certainly isn't non-replacable.

19. uNext macrumors 6502

I remember about 1 year ago my ipod battery would not hold a charge.
    Out of warranty i called them and they wanted to charge me 250+ to fix it. (DECIDED TO BUY ANOTHER MP3 PLAYER FOR THE PRICE)
    Can people really justify paying what will most likely be 250+ to fix a battery after the warranty is over after you paid 599 or 499 for it?

I hope people dont run into problems with it but apple did too much research on the phone and not on customers wants or whats best for us.

20. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

You called the wrong people or had an abnormal experience. Apple has a battery replacement program. I think it costs $50 or $75. You ship them your iPod and they send back a refurbished iPod with a new battery. It's not quite as convenient or cheap as replacing the battery your self, but I'm willing to put up with the consequences for the slim form factor.

You can also change the battery yourself provided you're willing to break the warranty (not an issue in this case) and are somewhat proficient at working with your hands. Clevin was somehow implying that the battery and the rest of the phone might not be separable. As I posted, I doubt that to be the case. I've replaced the battery on my iPod mini once before. I ordered a new battery for $25 off the internet, opened up the mini with the included tool and replaced the original battery. I've heard the 5g's are a little more difficult, but it's still entirely possible.

It's also not that big of an inconvenience to be without your iPod for a week. It's a much more major problem to be without your phone... i'm sure apple recognizes this, and will have some method for quickly replacing the battery if something goes wrong. If you happen to receive one that holds not charge I'd imagine they'd allow you to exchange it for a new one rather then waiting to have it repaired.

21. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

"Why would you want a replaceable battery?"

Are you serious? There are times when you are traveling, when urm, your phone doesn't get to spend 2 hours during the day to get a top up, especially when it has a huge display and power guzzling 3D graphics churning around.

With a backup battery simply open your briefcase, backpack, etc, pop the new battery in, and you are back in business. Maybe Apple users prefer to, in their simplicity (of mind), carry a third party charger which takes 6 AA battery and connects to the iPhone through the dock connector to score a charge on the go. I prefer to do it myself thanks.

And even then we still have no talked about planned obsolence yet. Throwing a nice phone at that due to a busted battery, what a waste. You may be rich enough to spend $600 on a phone that requires a $150 monthly phone plan, and the phone isn't even THAT good. I just prefer a phone that is a phone and can actually fit in my pocket without me looking like I am permanently excited to see everyone.

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i guess my "may be, may not be" really irritate u then, lol, whatever.

i was just simply saying, if its separable, why cant u change it by yourself then?

23. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The battery is not replaceable. So you are only limited to one battery per trip.

24. uNext macrumors 6502

I love apple computers i own a macbook pro 2.33
    but i am starting to realize that if apple releases a device that is obviously inferior then whats out there. Its still the best thing to happen to gadgets.

I just cnt believe APPLE USERS with their "i love simplicity and style" rather not fight this no removabkle battery and settle for DOUBLE AA chargers.

I think the people wanting this phone have no real use for a cell phone

25. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u nail it, thats why i was saying if apple offer a similar function iPod too soon, ppl will just go buy iPod rather than this phone thus effectively crush the iPhone's market.