Could the next gen iPod be like this thing?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bnemesis, Dec 28, 2003.

1. bnemesis macrumors regular

Sorry to link this if it has been posted before, but I just ran across this gizmo.
    4" color screen. can output HDTV, plays
    mpeg 1, 2, 4, divx, etc etc.
    mp3, ogg, monkey APE. can show images.
    60 GB. Not ugly like the dell dj.
    Will be released in early 2004.
    Windows support initially, Mac and linux coming soon.

Tight Audio Systems

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

why am i not getting excited about watching movies on a brick with a 4 inch screen.

iJon

3. bnemesis thread starter macrumors regular

because the novelty of it would wear off after the first 15 minutes of the movie?

Personally, I cant understand the whole portable video device thing. Even if there is video output on the device, wouldnt it just be easier to pop in a dvd?

With all the video iPod talk, i thought id post this, as its the first time i have seen something like it that isnt totally butt-ugly (or weighs 10 pounds)

4. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

sooner or later Apple will turn the iPod into a video playing device. And they'll do it in such a way that we'll all go "Wow!" and they'll sell like hot cakes.

Apple create revolutions.

What you may see no use for now, they will make into something you feel you can't live without.

5. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Hmmm

Limited supplys hot swap drives 4inh colour screen .. its a game gear..

Great lets hope that it flops lol on second thoughts just wait and see what happens

6. gerror macrumors 6502

I could watch my 150 Seinfeld episodes in the train to work. Would be very nice!

7. the future macrumors 6502a

But what *is* the weight of this device? I can't find this information on their site.

I think that gadget is quite nice, actually. It's no Apple design, of course, but it's not ugly, and they have some creative ideas for a portable device like this (swappable HDs, integrated mini mp3-player).

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

the specs are there, but my take is is if you have a hard time finding the specs on something like this they probably arent proud of the thinkess or weight.

iJon

9. the future macrumors 6502a

Yeah... and the weight isn't in the specs on their site.

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

11. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

All of these products seem great

and iam not saying that they wont take off. but as usual everything is been copied and re copied to the point of there been no major diffrinces between products. iPod will stand out as the starter for all of this. Then the iPod wil be a pda mobile gizmo that plays video audio and games and surf the net ?????

12. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

YOU HAVE THEM ALL on computer?!

You are my hero..hahaha

i've been trying to download a complete collection for years, but it seems almost impossible.

Did you use bittorrent or something like that, or just buy the vcds off ebay....or record them all yourself?

13. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Doesn't archos already have something like what you've listed?

www.archos.com

14. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

As far as mobile video goes, what's more interesting to me is the possibility of wirelss, on-the-go video chatting.

Otherwise I don't see much use for watching videos on a teeny screen. What are you going to watch anyways? DVDs that take hella long time to rip? TV shows that you download off Kaazaa? Until Apple creates an online service that makes downloading video instantaneous, I don't think a portable video player will ever catch on. As is now, it's too much work and not enough reward.

15. gerror macrumors 6502

Well, I still need 30 and I use KazaaLite with Virtual PC. However, since I use Panther Virtual PC is crashing like hell. Poisened and Acquisition are still not the apps they should be.

16. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I agree with you iJon.. this "thing" is no more then a brick that nobody can make me carry around..

but on the other hand, I am a openminded consumer, make that brick as light and as big as my 15gb iPod with all that specs, (i dont need 4inch screen, my eyes work ok!) and price it around 300-350$ someday, and sure, I'll buy it, why not!! :)