Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
South America
Is it possible that a new rev. of the MBP will come with a drive that reads Blu-ray this summer? Or is Blu-ray still too new?

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
It will probably come in the 17" first, then the 15", both at WWDC, and then the 12" (or hopefully 13.3) at WWDC or before christmas.

that's juts what i hope. they will probably also get merom and a new case design at that time.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
I don't know...

I don't know about this because I just found out that blu-ray DVD movies are so expensive than today's DVD! :eek:

About 10 years ago:

VHS - $10.00
DVD - $20.00

Today:

DVD - $20.00
Blu-Ray/HD-DVD - $30.00

In 10 years:
Apple - $100.00
EVD - $3.00
TVD - $140.00 :D

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Sorry, but I doubt it.

The MacBook Pro uses an ultra-slim 9mm DVD drive, which is still a very new product. (This is also the reason they have 4x non-DL, because there are no 9mm 8x DL drives yet.) Regular laptop drives are 12mm.

Even if a Blu-Ray drive came out within four months, the drives would most likely be a large, thick tower-style drive.

Also, isn't it true that Blu-ray drives are incompatible with DVD's and CD's? So even if the MBP adopted it, it would need two drives, one for Blu-ray and one for DVD's and CD's.

I imagine, though, that the Intel PowerMac (Mac Pro, or whatever) will have a DVD drive, with a Blu-ray drive as a BTO option.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Please no Blu-Ray... I already am happy with DVD myself. I don't think that the extra expense is worth it unless you're archiving photos. But then my clients won't be able to read the discs at all :(

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I doubt it. Apple is supporting BOTH Blu-ray and HD-DVD, and a format war is still to come- plus the drives alone cost around $100 or more for Blu-ray, and that's for a thick drive used in the players, not a laptop drive.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
They have created drives that can read dvd, cd and either blue ray or hd i think, cant remember which

also they have drives which can read both hd and blue ray i think...

im sure eventualy drives will be released to read all optical disks, just wonder how much it will cost?!!

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I hope not seeing as I just ordered my MBP two days ago...

Actually I shouldn't say that, I ordered knowing that Merom would be out in Q4 and that Blu-Ray was on the way... Still, it would be nice if technology could stand still for just a few moments so I could have top of the line stuff for more than a few weeks.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Summer might be way too soon since Blu-Ray tech is still VERY expensive and primitive. Samsung (i believe) introduced a regular bay for desktops, but they are only able to read Blu-Ray disks only and nothing else. Not to mention most of the drives are currently for commercial use and discs cost 25-30 USD each lol.

A realistic time frame for this to be introduced and as thin as it is, i'd say....end of the year, soonest. Maybe early next yr.

trogdor!

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
thegreatluke said:
Sorry, but I doubt it.

The MacBook Pro uses an ultra-slim 9mm DVD drive, which is still a very new product. (This is also the reason they have 4x non-DL, because there are no 9mm 8x DL drives yet.) Regular laptop drives are 12mm.

Even if a Blu-Ray drive came out within four months, the drives would most likely be a large, thick tower-style drive.

Also, isn't it true that Blu-ray drives are incompatible with DVD's and CD's? So even if the MBP adopted it, it would need two drives, one for Blu-ray and one for DVD's and CD's.

I imagine, though, that the Intel PowerMac (Mac Pro, or whatever) will have a DVD drive, with a Blu-ray drive as a BTO option.

Ya, considering they cant fit a DL DVDRW in at the monment, I would say blue would be a rev 3 type of possibility. For rev 2, i see them finaly getting the dvdrw drive up to par with a dl drive. Never know what BTO could bring though.....

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
From everything I've read so far most HDDVD and Blu-Ray drives will be backwards compatible with CDs and DVDs.

From the following article: http://www.techspot.com/articles/blu-ray_vs_hddvd/

about HD-DVD:
HD DVDs will include the same compression formats as BDs; MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1, and MPEG-2. MPEG-2 TS has been used to allow direct recording from HDTV broadcasts without picture quality loss. The current data transfer rate is 36.55Mbps. It will of course be backwards compatible with DVD and CD technology, this is where its appeal lies, however that does not mean Blu-ray technology is not backwards compatible.

about Blu-Ray:
Many manufacturers are starting to produce Blu-ray products. They are incorporating them into stand-alone recorders, game consoles, laptops, and PCs. BDA is recommending that manufacturers produce BD drives that are capable of reading DVDs. As such, optical heads have been created that can read CDs, DVDs and BDs. Panasonic released the first drive to support this, the SW-5582, and Pioneer has announced their drive will be released during the first quarter this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.