Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
I was searching through Motorola's web site and came across:
http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sp...?code=MPC8540&nodeId=03M943030450467M0yqX0l0H

The 85xx processor is the G5 (right?) so, from the looks of this, they have already started marketing a version of the G5 at ranges of 600MHz - 1GHz AND it uses that DDR RAM everyone has been wanting (maybe not as fast as we would like but I was not saying this is the one that will be in the PowerMacs).

I would IMAGINE that Apple would hold out for 1GHz+ versions of this chip before adding to the Powermac (if they are not already in production) but we can hope for at least the board behind that processor to start us off on the Apollos with DDR.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
horray its 64bit
but whats apple gonna do about it
is it backwards comaptible 64bit an 32bit apps
the DDR ram is a blessing
but when will we see one

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by mac15
horray its 64bit
but whats apple gonna do about it
is it backwards comaptible 64bit an 32bit apps
the DDR ram is a blessing
but when will we see one

I did see SOMEWHERE that it is going to be backward compatible. I don't think they could really bring out another generation 32-Bit, though, they would just be left too far behind.

Interesting, though, that routers and so forth can get the G5 with DDR before a desktop computer can..... go figure.

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
600mhz -1 ghz?

600mhz to 1 ghz? man!! they are going backward and forward at the sametime...they are going backward faster than forward though...

G5 Powermac 600 mhz...who is going to buy it? that is like back another two years...HOOORRAAAAAYYYY

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I know I would buy a 1.0ghz G5 with DDR, faster bus, new case, gigawire, rapidIO, and all that good stuff :)

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Re: 600mhz -1 ghz?

Originally posted by kaneda
600mhz to 1 ghz? man!! they are going backward and forward at the sametime...they are going backward faster than forward though...

G5 Powermac 600 mhz...who is going to buy it? that is like back another two years...HOOORRAAAAAYYYY

You have to remember that that chip has been designed for routers and communication devices.... the apple release would HAVE to be faster with better specs

Bartman

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Re: 600mhz -1 ghz?

Originally posted by kaneda
G5 Powermac 600 mhz...who is going to buy it? that is like back another two years...

This is an imperfect analogy, but...

Which provides more horse power? A V6 rev'ing at 10,000 RPMs or a V12 rev'ing at 6,000 RPMs? The V12, even though is it "running" slower.

Mhz matters when comparing very similar chips, the G4 and the G5 are simply not THAT similar. A 600 Mhz G5 will very likely out perform a 1 Ghz G4 and give you change.

DarkNovaMatter

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2001
HURRRAH!

Not bad, not bad at all. I was fearing that the DDR would only be 133, but when I noticed it was 333 mhz (DAMN!). Whats also nice about it, is its Ebook architecture. This means if IBM can get an Altivec clone or something then IBM can make these things! Okay had enough excitement for one day!

Crotalus

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Ha Ha Ha Ha

Are you guys for real? "Who's gonna buy a 600" ME! And i'll spank yer doubting asses with it. A 600mhz 64-bit processor would be vicious! And with Altivec? Jesus H Christ. What more could you ask? It would turn the northwood into driftwood.

BUT

Has anybody even heard that Apple is gonna put it in a desktop? I haven't seen ANYTHING concrete yet. This is ALOT of specialized power, even for pro users. Plus if they couldn't make it backwards compatable then it would be the biggest software alienation in history. I see this thing going to special use for a long time. My theory is, if you don't have enough power then a beowulf cluster would be yer best solution. If yer that awed by a 2.2 gig P4 then for god's sake shut up and buy one. If not... then use yer Mac and smile like me. I like my G4 400 just fine. If it had DDR RAM and more cache and a nice SCSI raid with some 15k Cheetahs I'd be set for about five more years : )

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
DDR

Ok, I have one for you all... and correct me if I mess this one up.

Memory type has very little to do with the processor and much, much more to do with the motherboard design. Take for example the pc (ducking) world. There are many motherboards out for both the AMD and intel processors. While many do use DDR memory, because of the speed, not all do. There are other chips (on the motherboard) that have more influence on the memory that is used.

To my knowledge, there are three DDR memory speeds at present.. PC1600, PC 2100 (same as the 1600, but used in a 266 bus, not a 200), and now PC2700 (might also be a 2400 not sure on that). The only problems being that the motherboard has to support it since the memory has a different pin arrangement (two sets of pins instead of the three that are on PC100/133).

Judging by how Apple usually uses the fastest technology that they can get their hands on (they were the first to use the 12Mb USB) I would suspect that they will use the PC2700 variant. Memory pricing between the DDR types are pretty much the same (identical if not very close). Just as between PC100 and PC133.

As with most people here, I will be waiting to see what Apple releases for their towers next. Then I get to see if I can afford to buy one or how long will I need to wait to get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.