Could this be a SJ "oh, one more thing"??

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by A@ron, May 12, 2002.

1. A@ron macrumors member

I've recently had my dealings with the Apple Care people and managed to find some dirt on the new iBooks. For a quick summary of what was posted prior: G3 (NO G4), 32 MB GPU, 800-600 mHz, and increased resolution of course.

G3: No G4 in the iBook. Apple doesn't want to shoot its self in the foot on the consumer-pro lineups sadly enough.
    GPU: A new grafics card to take full advantage of Quartz Extreame that will also allow for much better screen resolution on the 12" and 14" screens. We all know that OS X loves realestate.
    Speed Bump: Well this is logical progression as the current iBooks have been around for awhile and are due for their 3 month update. Right in time for school buying season... seems even more likely with that fact.

Now comes my next question... we are mearly a day and a half from the 1u Rack mount server announcement. We all know Steve Jobs loves to surprise us and loves the "Oh, one more thing..." approach. Could the new iBook be it? They could tie them together... The servers for the companies or schools... oh and the iBooks for all the kids in Rhode Island... "2 down, 48 to go." Lets just hope Apple gets the money up front this time :)

A@ron
    -------------------------------
    P.S. I dont know if the Apple Care people know jack sh*t.

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

first of all, welcome to Macrumors!

i've been saying for quite a while that the iBooks won't get a 32MB video card because the TiBooks just got one. but i guess they really need it. there are a heap of other things that the TiBook has that the iBook doesn't.
    the iBook can have a 32 MB video card, and i'll still be a happy TiBook owner. :)

3. Paolo macrumors regular

That is a good point

That is a good point, to have the ibooks updated to 32mb. But it may not, when oyu think about it schools don't use iBooks for much besides word processing and web searching. So really the ibook doesn't require capabilities of taking full advantage of the OS.

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

What you're saying, as a whole, sounds very unlikely. I think the G3, the speed bumps, and the higher res screens are all likely. I think a 32 MB card is unlikely, although being a popular student machine, and with students tending to enjoy *ahem* the odd game, I don't think a decent graphics card in these machines would be a bad move at all.

I'm also doubtful we'll see updated iBooks with the MacRacks as a "one more thing" job. Steve only pulls that out for MW gigs, not at press conferences.

5. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

and one more thing....

More like here's one we made earlier and we should have enough by Christmas.
    Fortunately, that gives me another 6 months to save the extra £100 they'll be asking.:(:eek::)

oh and when they say "any AGP 32MB" do you think that includes AGPx1 like the original sawtooth? I'm still a bit edgy as to whether an extra 16MB will save me.

6. A@ron thread starter macrumors member

In response

Hey Beej I understand your point of view however, all that information is what I was told... like I said I don't know if Apple Care people know jack sh*t but its reasonable to assume that they would need to study soon to be realeased hardware to learn about any hardware technical issues. I also didnt expect a 32 MB vid card... I was expecting 16 MB only, but I feel Apple could always surprise us :) but hey at least I know that there will be an update because Apple could not afford not to.

A@ron

7. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: In response

Sure dude, I was just giving my opinion. I really don't think Apple Care people know much, I think they just like to pretend they do.

Remember folks, these are the people who took 1 1/2 hours to find out how my dad could delete some stuff he didn't have permission to delete. (I wasn't around to help him.) their answer in the end: log in as root.

Wow, 10 points for Apple Care. It took them 1 1/2 hours to come up with that? I'm sure 90% of the people here could have told my father that before he even finished explaining the problem!

8. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

If the resolution of the 12" iBook is going to be increased, is Apple going to include a magnifying glass free in the box as well? :)

9. A@ron thread starter macrumors member

One word...

One word, no. For a few reasons. OS 10.1.x already has support for resizing icons and 10.2 will add support for resizing the system font so if you cant see normal 12 pt fonts on the 12" screen you can blow it up. Either that or go get bifocals :p

A@ron

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Apple Care

A@ron,
    I have found int he past, that they will fool with you. They act as if they know everything, but in fact they don't. What I think that we will see is a 700 and 800 mhz iBook with a 16MB Radeon mobility. Drives will be 20, and 30 gigs, and of course it will have the CDRW and combo drives. I agree on the better pixel resolution idea. I think the 14.1 inch will see much better resolution.

11. A@ron thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I figured...

Yeah I figured they don't know anything and in reality most of us don't either. Guess we are all in the same boat, well except for Steve Jobs... what I wouldn't give for the ability to read his mind. I wouldn't mind being Steve Jobs long lost son either. With one caveat of course, I don't like black turtlenecks so I wouldn't wear them. Back to the topic at hand, I figured that they didn't know anything but this is of course... macrumors. Anyhow I guess we will know soon enough what these iBooks will be my guess is within 1-3 weeks if not tomorrow. Apple needs to ramp up for education season!

A@ron

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: and one more thing....

Actually, it says "any AGP Radeon card" with "32MB VRAM recommended". Apple could very well put the 16MB Mobile Radeon that was in the rev. B TiBooks into the next revision of iBooks and get away with it. Since it falls under the AGP Radeon card heading, Quartz Extreme should function well, or well enough.

13. Beigean macrumors newbie

don't worry, the original Sawtooth has AGP2x.

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/g4saw.shtml

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Has anyone ever even heard of a 1x AGP slot?? From my understanding, they are at least 2x the PCI slot speeds (hence the AGP designation, and X factor). I know we have seen up to 4x so far, but I have to wonder how long before we see even faster slots... How about a 6x AGP slot, or 8x?? When will it stop??? Probably when computers have been reduced to the size of your wallet and have the power of 10 G5's inside it. Interface via cyber-jack implants for true speed of thought computing. Game time will probably be measured in seconds, not hours, by then.

15. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

an ordinary update of the iBook is no 'one more thing'. it's too ordinary...

now, OS X 10.3 would be...

k.

16. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Thankyou, I now know more than I did before.

I like this place.:)