Could this be real?

Discussion in 'Community' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Dec 3, 2003.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

My Mom found this website that pays $500 to $700 download free software, and I was wondering whether it's possible that it is legitimate. The URL of the site is: http://moneytree.plugusin4cash.com/

2. evil macrumors 6502

it seems like there has to be a catch somewhere.

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

The domain is registered to a US address which is always good, but there is still gonna be a catch. You cant just give away money...it seems like a pyramid scheme from the FAQ section of the site.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well first off, it looks pyramid based, eg you need to recruit friends to make any real money. secondly, i'd imagine the software you download is either adware or spamware... it either makes you look at a ton of ads, taking up half of your screen, or it takes over your computer to send out spam. However, neither of those things could pay so well... i don't know.

generally speaking, if this was as good as it sounded, wouldn't *everyone* do it?

personally i wouldn't think twice about it. but, if she tries it, let us know details--

pnw

5. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

6. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Well, you give them your email address, so they will probably spam you. Also, you have to have a Paypal account, which I don't currently have. They might make a lot of money out of ads, so that's how they can afford to pay you. I'll keep this site into consideration for now, neither dismissing or accepting it.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

If it was as simple as it sounded than more people would use it.

So I think it's bs.

scem0

8. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Maybe I'll just download the software on my Mac. Since it's Windows software, while I will still get paid for downloading it, the software won't effect my computer. And I'll create a new email address to use in case they try to spam me. Would there be any danger in that?

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

there is absolutely no way, shape or form that they can make this much money off of ads. Internet advertising collapsed with the internet bubble. most of it isn't even click-based, they use a complex system of page views, time, etc. Internet advertising is not the free ride that it was a few years ago...

like i said, i can think of no way, legitimate or otherwise, that this kind of revenue could be generated in the way that they suggest.

pnw

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

You need to install and run the software to get paid. Says so in the FAQ.

pnw

11. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I read into the site in more depth, and I have realized that it does seem like a scam. Oh well. Get rich quick schemes never work.

12. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

This is the catch, as Paul said.

STEP 2:
    Login to your Personal Account page (just type "my account" in your address bar or Login from the website) and use the tools we've provided there to send information about this program to at least 7 of your friends.__ When they signup they will be added under you automatically by our system. __
    _
    STEP 3:
    Tell your friends to do the same and you will begin to earn money each month as more and more of your friends and their friends signup.

Classic scheme: We pay you to get us addresses so we can sell them to companies and have your mailbox soon flooded with useless advertisements and "special offers".

Don't do it because it isnt worth getting suckered in.

[​IMG]

^^Might as well invest your time and money into... you get the picture.^^

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

if it is a pyramid, then it could be illegal

some pyramid scemes are actually legal though but they have to fit through some really extensive tests to be able to use the amway method so amway did a service and disservice at the same time

on one hand, amway brought the microscope of the feds and brick and mortar business came hard against them and even though the feds and businesses lost those series of lawsuits, what came out was a much more limited way to make money that way

on the good side, amway is a model for other pyramid businesses to model themselves after and at least doing pyramid business, even though stiffled from the feds, is a legal option for people

personally, i don't find my personality type to really be good in an amway type of business, but i do know people who would be great for that type of opportunity

14. coopdog macrumors 6502a

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yes, because Americans never, never have, and never will cheat anyone on anything.

16. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

from the Make Sure to Read the Fine Print Department:

that has to be the most disclaiming disclaimer EVER. "Dissatisfaction guaranteed!"

17. radhak macrumors regular

is that right? please be very careful with a Paypal account, you (or your mom) might find it very difficult to wriggle out of later. i already think this could be a major scam, and feel sorry for whoever gets suckered in.

18. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

unrelated but another scam i remember is the "get a car for $20" scam.

you go to some websites and it tells you you can have a car for $20. you pay $20 and you get a listing of advertisement car companies. if you fit their desired driving profile, you get a car for "free" to drive and show the ads...

:rolleyes:

19. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yes, but an American based domain is a lot easier for authorities to track down to the American culprit. A foreign based account is generally a lot harder to race back to the physical person.

Funny, because most scams are American just routing through other countries first.

20. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

there is this one scam that happened in the argricultural fields near me

it goes like this:

a group of teens and some early 20 somethings, all either in high school, college, or dropped out of one or both, decided to fool around with an idea of making computers for everyday people, but the banks would not listen

none of them had a college degree and none of them had any work experience so the banks did not see their futuristic endeavors as realistic

some even realized that perhaps even the minutest thing about this invention, the little bugger's software, could also be a product onto itself

to the older, properly educated folk (often the parents of those kiddies), it just looked like a scam

fast forward to today's companies made by dropouts and young scammers

now the agricultural fields are littered with headquarters, divisions, and offices and buildings with placards that say

Apple
    Microsoft
    Oracle
    Yahoo
    Napster
    Sun Microsystems
    Dell

they stand where those fruit orchards once were...not bad for a bunch of dropouts and scammers

and yeah, they OWN those banks who dissed them:p :p :p

22. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

That's fair enough. I guess it's probably right to be suspicious if you have to do business with a company who's domain was registered in Turkmenistan.