Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2005
new_finder.png

Beautiful.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
That's some guy's mock-up from Think Secret. I'll post a link in a sec.

Looks nice though.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Looks cleaner and more streamlined than the awful brushed metal Finder. I'd just like to see Finder becoming a tad thinner with less of a footprint.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Lacero said:
Looks cleaner and more streamlined than the awful brushed metal Finder. I'd just like to see Finder becoming a tad thinner with less of a footprint.

Right, which adding another view option certainly wouldn't do. Upon looking at the mockup further, I think the solution is not to add more on top of the current system, but to redesign what we've got.

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2005
Lacero said:

Try this and this. I love them so much.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
That's a really nice and well done mock-up. I don't think it will quite be like that, though. From what I understand, the rumors are saying that Finder is getting a total overhaul. This doesn't look like a total overhaul, instead just a couple updates here and there.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
stridey said:
Right, which adding another view option certainly wouldn't do. Upon looking at the mockup further, I think the solution is not to add more on top of the current system, but to redesign what we've got.

There was a rumor a bit back that Apple is re-doing Finder for Leopard. About time if it is true! Do you know that the Finder is STILL a Carbon app?! Not that Carbon is bad, but...!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I can't wait until all apps go to the unified look. I don't mind brushed metal but they don't play nicely together IMO and it's nice to have a change.

As for the spotlight over selected icons, I don't think that'd work. I prefer the current standard way of highlighting files. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Raven VII said:
There was a rumor a bit back that Apple is re-doing Finder for Leopard. About time if it is true! Do you know that the Finder is STILL a Carbon app?! Not that Carbon is bad, but...!

They've pretty much re-written it for each new release of the operating system. Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily become better--just different. Carbon and Cocoa co-exist. There is nothing wrong with either that the other can't help. :) I would suggest that several of your favourite applications are Carbon applications and you just don't know it. A couple have finally been re-written to dump resources in order to use .Nib files, finally...really, finally.

The mockup looks good. It would be nice to have something more informative than the current Finder. As much as I love the mostly blank Preview icons, it wouldn't hurt to actually show the contents as a thumbnail.

Wouldn't the gloss black be a nice look for a while? They could let you switch it to gloss white, too, for a change. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.