Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

[-=ErH=-] Zeal

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2001
uk
the first one looks class, id buy one of those, the second one just looks like a rebranded palm or visor

tech specs for the first one are a bit ambitious though.

DaDude

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2001
N'awlins
The first one looks like a fake to me, it dosen't look plausable. The second one is more like it (I hope I'm wrong and it is the firdt though)

JarredBull

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2001
Colorade
I think it would be foolish on Apple's part to enter the PDA market again. They already tried that once. Besides we all know that to have the best product you go Apple and you pay a little more, that thing with the current PDA's is that they cost way too much for doing next to nothing.

cChris

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2001
enter ths PDA market again?

Apple more or less invented the market with the Newton. It was from it that the phrase PDA was coined. The Newton was ahead of its time. As for the second PDA image above. Does it double as a mouse? ;)

ElGreco

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2001
I like the first one very much. But the tech specs make me think it would be much more the new iMac than a PDA...

Remember, Apple announced to cut CRT displays and entirely move to flat screens. Now the iMac is the only CRT-based computer in its product line. It's evident there will be a change here.

Why shouldn't they combine some Cube-Technology (small space, top loading CD-slot) with a flat-screen and the iMac's all-in-one idea. The result would be exactly what we see as the probable PDA in the first post in this forum.

And if it's not - how could a flat-panel iMac look like? I would love to see one of those on my desktop!!!

Later,
Greco

ElGreco

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2001
Hint to an Apple PDA!!!

On http://www.macaddict.com I just read that an Alpha spokesman gave a hint on a Newton2 they are to produce for Apple. Sure, this is far from being industry news, especially because Alpha is the organization that made up all the fuzz about the new iBooks which are to come in multiple colours and larger screen.

But still it is a hint on what Apple could be going to introduce on MWNY. I desperately pray for an Apple PDA. And think it clearly - their original Newton was way ahead of its time. But they may derive much know how from it (handwriting recognition, system software, building small devices, etc.) Now, the idea to step into this market and enlarge their vision of a digital hub wouldn‘t be a weird strategy. And with either the cube and much more the new iBooks Apple has shown that they are able and willing to produce small and feature packed mini-super-computers. They could really be out for another surprise to the market. And we all know how much Steve likes the phrase "There's one more thing..."

Given this rumor is true, it would be the only proposition for Apple to construct a PDA (which of course would NOT be named Newton2 - something like iPDA is much more likely) and source out the production to Alpha or whatever manufacturer. I more and more doubt Apple will establish a close relationship with precisely this company, because they are far too loselipped. A fact that is good for us rumor-fanatics but it really might hurt Cupertino's PR and marketing.

Let's hope it's true!!!

Later,
Greco

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
smaller smeeeeeeg

hello ppl,
i been thinking about the imac and all this flat screen stuff. If the imac is to get a flat panel screen thing, and if they were to compact the insides of it "cube style" then surely it would conflict with the laptop and portable computers apple will be making.
I think the shrinking of the imac is inevitable but surely they will have to add something to it to make it more a desktop machine rather than a laptop, otherwise they will have to drop it seeing as the 2 will be just too similar.
hi, spikey

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I dont know about that

pda's have been a big fad in the last few years but latly they have had major drops in sales. evey one that needs one has one... and the rest of just use good old analog pad O' paper. And Apple PDA would be cool, and hell I might even get one if it wasnt too expensive.. but only becaues I'm MacHead... I dont know if there would really be a market for an Apple PDA.. that is one besides one beond people like us that post on Mac rumor websites.

macboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2001
MACWORLD

read the very last page of Macworld after the ads!!!!

PDA news.....

Macboy

ymarks

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2001
The first one is the top of a cube but with a screen shown in place of the vent and cd-drive.

The second on is the underside of the Pro Optical Mouse

Macwizzard

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2001
Holladay, UT
The new apple PDA will not be named the newton. Think of the relationship between Jobs, the current CEO and Sculley, the father of the newton. Jobs hates Sculley and won't name the new PDA the Newton 2.

itomato

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2001
PDA sales are down.

Not a good time for Apple to make a move. PDA's have peaked. The Newton was the ultimate, but was introduced before its time. What would be a good move for Apple, is to port NewtonOS to PocketPC devices like the iPaq, Jornada, etc.

tacojohn

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2001
Redwood City, CA
applepdaad.jpg

AppleTeck

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2001
California
Greetings,

I believe that if Apple is going back into the PDA ballgame, it would be by buying a currect PDA company. I feel given the cash problems with Palm, they would be at the top of the list. I know Apple tried in the past but because of Palm's success, he was turned down.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
from Rhapsody to Mystic

The Mac freaks around silicon valley have a joke about Apple's PDA phantom: The easiest way to get the Men In Black treatment in Cupertino would be to walk into Apple R&D wearing a white on black "GOT MYSTIC" T-shirt with a little white Apple below the center-back of the neckline.

The Mystic Rumor has seen a lot of embellishment but the core seems stable. The easiest development path just flips the Ibook's screen over, loses that crampy little keyboard and gains touch sensitivity. It'd be somewhat more than what the term PDA really applies to so the Steve Jobs' Quote that there will not be a PDA produced by Apple's still true. The thing to remember about disclosure and propoganda is that what's said is only a small part of the truth but in most cases is still true.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
do I have a stutter?

I could have sworn I posted something mischievious yeterday here but I don't see it. Maybe I guessed a little too close........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.