Could this be what new Apple Cinema Displays will be like?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SavageLLama77, Mar 3, 2007.

1. SavageLLama77 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I was just browsing the web when I came across this video http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6379146923853181774&q=apple+display. Could this be what the new displays will be like, in terms of multi-touch technology? Just wondering, after all the rumors going around about the new displays coming out April 15 (i think) at NAB. So, please just give your thoughts, cause that would be pretty cool to interact with a screen like that in the video.:apple:

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

3. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Ill second that no, though it would be aweosme. I think the price tag on that is still a bit high. ;)

:)

4. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I'd say maybe four revisions down the product line it has a possibility if the technology still is alive...

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Oh wow! What a fantastic video! The interaction looks so smooth, very impressive - I don't think it'd help me in my job but I want one anyway! :p

6. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

althiugh that would be pretty cool, i highly doubt thats is what they will look like, or even do.

7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

8. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

This video has been going around for a while. Theres been a couple page 2 rumors about it the last few months, like this one.

9. Lynxpoint macrumors regular

Lynxpoint

If done right it would revolutionize the computer world.

I have been desiring a change from the old keyboard and mouse for many years now. Oh, how I would love to play with that interface for a while to see how feasable it is.

10. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Drool. Real-time fluid dynamics. That was one powerful computer.

11. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Awesome, but no.

Apple would have to create a whole new product line of huge computers to use theseI don't see much use for these in the home, although some people would buy them.

A keyboard and mouse is good because you can sit at a desk, put your arms on the desk, and work while using minimal energy. To have to lift your arms up every time you wanted to do something would be annoying.

Similarly, having a horizontally mounted huge 50" LCD screen would be a pain, because of the huge bulk of the computer.

In a few years, however, I think it is quite likely Apple will make something like this, probably a wedge shaped 50" screen that sits on the desk, the screen angled up at the back. This would be used with either fingers, or for extra accuracy, a special stylus. This would of course be aimed at graphics designers, CADers, etc.

I think the next truly universal replacement for the mouse and keyboard will be nothing short of a matrix style brain jack, except with out the whole "stick it in your head bit". Brain scanning technology is getting to the point of being able to tell what you intend to do, and then tell what you are thinking. Technologies already exist that can cause small targetted parts of the brain to become activated through the application of electric or magnetic fields. It seems to follow that the two will be combined to allow people to control the computer using thought alone, and have vision, sound, touch, etc. created inside your brain, bypassing eyes, ears, skin, etc.

I know it sounds far fetched, but it's going to happen one way or another. If we as consumers want it to happen, it will. If we don't, it will happen anyway, just slower, and it will be less user friendly, and will only be available to an exclusive few. Technology is Good!

12. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Watch this to see its feasibility. Same guy, just a more formal demonstration. This is the future of computing. http://youtube.com/watch?v=ac0E6deG4AU

Brain scanning is at least 50 years away. The human brain is too complex and designing software to ignore certain inputs would take years.

Multi-touch is here today, you can see it in the iPhone. It will not be the next ACD, but it will be hitting a screen near you in the next 5 years.

13. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

It clearly has no realistic use in the home. I suppose it could easily be an option, but more for professionals.

OK, clarification. There are uses for a multimedia centre with multitouch screen, I suppose, but I think Front Row and remote are more practical, ie. dealing with photos or video. And how is a multitouch screen going to make typing out an assignment or surfing the net any quicker? Keyboard is more practical, and a lot cheaper.

Games? How bout no. Apart from iPod style games, completely impractical.

And I would say about half that time for brain scanners.

14. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

15. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure