Could this replace the iSight?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Awimoway, Mar 6, 2004.

1. macrumors 65816

I could easily see this being incorporated directly into display bezels of PowerBooks and perhaps even desktop displays as a way of bypassng the clunky clip-on iSights used now.

And if they ever make a video iPod (though I'm not holding my breath that we'll ever see one), you could slap one of these lenses on with little effort and add another dimension of functionality.

2. macrumors 65816

alset

It's a nice thought, but I'm sure it's a long way off. Sounds expensive. One thing's for sure, though.... My kids are gonna have it way too good on the tech front. I'm actually jealous of them, until I remind myself that they won't have the appreciation for things like this that their parents will have. Damn kids. :rolleyes:

Dan

3. macrumors 65816

Dippo

Your kids will think that before the computer & cell phones, it was the dark ages...

As for the palm camera, I think it is a good idea, but I haven't known palm to come out with any new tech really ever....so it remains to see if we will ever see this camera in any product.

4. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    makes me wonder about all these techy genius people...all the best and most advanced designs appearing are simply based on the human body or whatever.

i hear stuff in the news about this big scientific breakthrough in the field of medicine/technology etc, and think to myself, well no s**t. maybe things are too simple and too logical to consider further? i dunno, we sure as hell can learn ab lot if we just looked at the world around us once in a while.

having said that, it's sounds very cool, i can't wait!

5. macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

It's not that scientists haven't been impressed with the natural world, it's that they haven't had the technology to replicate it, so they came up with the mechanical alternatives we're used to.

As for having this lense imbedded in the bezel of a screen, I think it would be kind of freaky to see my computer "focusing" on me. Brrrr. [Warning: This product not recommended for paranoid delusionals] "My computer is spying on me! I can see it watching while I type....."

6. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I don't think this is going to cost a whole lot, seeing as it's meant for small, cheap, consumer cameras...

It does sound promising, though...

7. macrumors P6

wdlove

At this point I would prefer to stick with the iSight made by Apple. We have the iSight now.