Could Use Some Flash Help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Cooknn, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

A friend of mine is a General Contractor and he put a new front door on my condo for nothing. I told him I'd spruce up his website. I bought a cool Flash template - basically the only thing Flash is the header. Problem is I am pretty much clueless regarding Flash. I can hack my way through some it as you can see from the attached screenshot, but I have no idea how to get the combo box / jump button to actually go to a URL, or to get the background of the dropdown to be - not so transparent...

If you know Flash and you don't have anything going on as you read this, I would totally appreciate some direction. You can download the FLA here (3MB). Thanks in advance :eek:

Attached Files:

2. neut macrumors 68000

neut

I've worked on template that people have bought and expected them to work. Word of advice ... don't buy them! They're a huge pain in the ass and almost never are they in actual working order. You really need to quite a bit of Flash to get these things to work correctly. They are prototypes ... nothing more. I'd help you out, but I'd need $ and I don't really have the time right now cause it takes awhile to figure out how the dev/designer was intending for things to work (if at all). I usually try to talk clients out of these things and connivence them to let me build one from scratch. It's much easier to modify your own design/devs than to deconstruct another persons. It just takes too much time; there are a hundred different was to work in Flash and these templates usually use the dirtiest techniques. These designers are expected to output hundreds of these templates and they don't seem to be too concerned if the work or not. :rolleyes:

I peeked at your file and there is a Bounding box in the component that is set to alpha 0 but they also use it as a highlight so if you change it to opaque it covers up the text on rollover. :rolleyes:

Your links seem to be there, but i don't think the 'jump' button is even looking for the data output by selection from the component.

I hope you didn't pay too much for this. These things are pretty easy create when they're put together this sloppy. If you didn't already know ... the selection menu arrows are messed up and your image buttons don't link.

Have fun. :)

peace | neut

3. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Thanks neut, I appreciate you taking a look. The template only cost $50. I actually used one for my virtual tour site (sig) and it worked out fine. It was a lot of work though :eek:

4. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Good luck with this one. If I had more time i'd help you out but i've been pretty busy lately. The Macromedia (err, I mean … Adobe) Flash forums are usually a good place to look for help. :)

peace | neut

5. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Well, I'm beginning to think they sabotaged the FLA just so people would have to come back to them and pay to get it fixed :mad: I actually created a new FLA and dropped a standard combo box in with code that I got from the Adobe forums (per your direction) and it worked great. Copy and paste the combo box from the problematic FLA header though, and it brings over some other baggage that breaks it. Copy and paste a standard combo box from the new FLA to the header and it just appears empty upon previewing.

What a pain :rolleyes:

6. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Hi Dave, got your email earlier. Unfortunately, I haven't used Flash in well over a year so I don't think I'll be terribly helpful. I wouldn't actually know where to start with the box url redirect thing.

Good luck though!

7. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I got the answer (4.3MB) All I had to do was ask... I was avoiding discussing this with TemplateMonster.com as I thought they would try and whack me for some $. Case closed. Thanks for putting up with me guys ;)

8. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Glad to hear you worked it out. Nice work Cooknn. :)

peace | neut