Could you picture Al Sharpton calling Strom Thurmond "massuh"??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

CNN

What next? Anna Nicole Smith is distantly related to Albert Einstein?

2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

That'll be the day, probably more along the lines of Bill Gates. LOL

Don't wanna tarnish good old Al's image now would you?

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Senator Thurmond (to Reverend Al): Those yanks are tryin' to make thin's difficul for usn's down hear. We need you free boys to tell'um thin's r fine with yu'en.

Reverend Al: I think that is bad juju, bwana.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Probably find all manner of surprises in family histories.

I haven't traced the exact relationship; maybe a great-great-grandfather. Anyway, in 1853 he sold a slave to his brother, back in Missouri before leaving for "the frontier". His grandfather was the Rev. John Witherspoon, signer of the Declaration of Indpendence and first Head Honcho of what became Princeton University. Somebody in the Witherspoon family, a generation or so back, had done some digging in old family papers. My mother ran across the stuff, a few years back. Sorta startling.

The problem for tracing slaves' descendants is in knowing full names. Record keeping was not nearly as complete in the various courthouses. After emancipation and the Civil War ended, as I understand it, many ex-slaves took the surnames of their former owners. I've often wondered about some possible "kinfolk". :)

'Rat