Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Hey Everyone, I have an iMac with an SSD drive as the main boot drive and an internal HDD that I use for extra storage and also had a 100GB partition for Windows 7.

However, recently whilst using Windows 7 it crashed and now the whole drive appears to be corrupt. The small amount of files I had on it in the MAC partition are gone and the windows partition either doesn't boot up or boots up and crashes.

I would like to format the drive and start it again but when I go to do this I can't erase the disk as it comes up with an error saying can not unmount but there can't be any files stopping it from unmounting as there is nothing on the disk.

I have tried doing the relaunch finder trick but I just can't unmount the disk or format it.

This is in both disk utility and in disk utility when booting from the recovery partition.

I am starting to think the physical HDD is faulty but hopefully not as I have barely used it in the few months Ive had it so id hate to have to have my iMac opened:(

any ideas guys?

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Ok Ive found that if I force eject the drive It appears to unmount but when I try to erase the disk I get the following error:

Disk Erase failed with the error:

Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.