Count your blessings...

Discussion in 'Community' started by emw, Aug 9, 2004.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Man, sometimes we (or at least I) forget how lucky we can be.

I was going to hang a new thermometer and being the anal guy that I am, I decided to drill a pilot hole for the screws, so I grabbed my drill and 1/16" bit.

Unfortunately I dropped the thermometer and bent down (with the drill) to pick it up just as my 3 1/2 year old was rushing to see what was going on.

Head, meet drill bit.

Another inch and she loses an eye. As it was, it was just a small scratch.

I'll try to remember that next time I feel like bitching about how long it takes me to get something shipped from Apple... A lot of things are just more important.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm so glad everything turned out OK! Amazing how kids are always in exactly the wrong place....

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ah man, you'd never forgive yourself.

Incidences like this will happen again and again. My mom once cut my hair when I was young, and accidentally cut my ear. Man, she said she never forgave herself.

And here I am, still standing. :) I'm sure stuff like that happened to you as well when you were young.

And you're right. We're here saying things like, "I hope my iPod ships with the light blue backlight!!" We really should be more thankful that we even have the money to buy such things. :eek:

4. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Thanks guys. Just needed to get that off my chest. You're right about things like that happening as kids, though. She'll never remember it, just like I'm sure many such things have escaped me as well.

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

There have been a few times when I've nearly lost and eye.

I was on a gravel road loading stuff into the back of a pickup, and my friend, who happens to be a genius, guns the engine and drives off at top speed. Of course all the gravel came flying back at me, but I had my arm over my face by then.

But you daughter is truly lucky. :cool:

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

if she's only 3, you've got a lot more 'incidents' left ;)

thankful everything turned out ok this time :)

7. friarbayliff macrumors regular

Little kids are so cool - they are so resilient

My little brother used to have all sorts of accidents like that. It's funny how they always pick it up and move on long before everyone else finishes virtually having a stroke. :)

8. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, 10 minutes later she's blowing bubbles with the neighbor kid and I'm still shaking!

9. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

yes, but not resiliant enough to survive a drill bit in the eye! I used to get a pencil and take it in my fist and pretend that i got it stuck in my eye. I wasn't stupid enough to do it right infront of my eye but i was stupid enough to bang into a table and lodge the pencil in my forehead. (i was 12) it wasn't bad but i did bleed for half an hour!

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I so happy to hear that your daughter is OK. Children recover so quickly, they essentially remember no more. It is a great trait to have. Try not to be too hard on your self. Now you have also learned a lesson.