Counter-Strike Box

Discussion in 'Games' started by Koree, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Koree macrumors 6502

Yeah, i want a pc just to play counter strike :D Sounds stupid, but all the games i play are on mac anyway, cept counter-strike! So anyway, its an old game, how much could it cost to put together a machine to play counter-strike on? o, and maybe a few of the old command and conquers. Just need suggestions on a motherboard/case, proccesor etc.

Thanks

2. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

You can get a PC for those games for around $500 I should think. I'd advise you to start doing your own research. It's a very good way to learn about PCs. A great parts store is NewEgg. To start off, you probably won't need anything more than an athlon XP 2500+ so build your computer around that. Whenever you want to add another part to your order google a review for that item. Worked for me :D

3. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I built a top of the line Athlon back in 2000 and it could play Counter Strike fine at 1280x1024 with all the goodies set to max...

And that was only a 1 Ghz Athlon Thunderbird with a Radeon 64 meg.

So that should give you some idea of how little of a system you need to run it properly.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

You could buy an xbox ($150) CS($30) and an xbox live subscription ($50), and get a CS machine for $230.

edit: I was in the same situation as you. . . I wanted to play CS, but my switch to the Mac left me lacking. I did what I suggested above, and have been very happy. It does take a week or so to get used to the controller over the keyboard and mouse, but after that, all should be good.

5. Koree thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Hey by the way, can i put a keyboard and mouse on the X-Box? I always am appalled at playing any FPS without a mouse :D

6. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

dude

find some dude who has an old p2 lyin around.. it would work fine on that.. i have an old p3 in my garage from like 5 years ago... just needs a hard drive and i could play cs :p

7. jdogg707 macrumors regular

Something like this should work great if you want a real PC to play it on, minus monitor:

- AMD Athlon XP 2000+ Retail Processor - $58.00

- Shuttle AN35N-Ultra Motherboard - $57.00

- Kingmax 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM - $80

- ECS 128MB ATi Radeon 9200 128 bit Video Card - $51.00

- Western Digital 80GB 8MB 7200RPM Special Edition Hard Drive - $59.00

- Lite-On 52X/32X/52X CD-RW - $29.99

- Logitech Black Optical Dekstop (Mouse and Keyboard) - $25.00

- Raidmax Black Mid-Tower Case w/350W PSU - $38.00

- Creative Labs SBS350 2.1 Speakers - $25.00

- Estimated Shipping - 34.96

- Total - $457.95

This machine should allow you to play CS, and quite a few other games if you so choose. Should be a good Windows box, just provide a monitor and a copy of windows and you're good to go. I found everything at Newegg, best place to buy parts online. Other good places are www.zipzoomfly.com, www.mwave.com, www.directron.com, and www.svc.com.

Good Luck.

8. applekid macrumors 68020

That might be a little expensive to just play CS. When I was looking at building a PC and checking prices, I had a AthlonXP 2600+ and a 9600 Pro part of my list and it was at a similar price.

I recommend zipzoomfly.com for parts. Free two-day shipping on most items, and the prices are sometimes better than newegg.com. But do make sure to shop around and check shipping prices with it.

Then again, it might because of the Shuttle mobo and the shipping cost, it's more expensive than it has to be.

But remember, you'll still need to buy a monitor and a copy of Windows. I might consider getting a PC from one of the big-name manufacturers to play CS at the price we're reaching.

9. web_god61 macrumors regular

web_god61

I`m waiting for the Phantom Console to come out, give the mod guys a few monthes mybe 2 and you have a good pc that can play all PC games for only $200.

10. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

CS better come to the Mac. I played that ALL the time before I got my PB. It's been just about a year since I've played it. Oh the memories... sniff :(

11. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Well, I dunno about the old CS, but the new CS ("Counter-Strike Source") is shaping up to be pretty nice as well. This is a good site with lots of pics/movies:

http://www.csbanana.com/csb_page.banana?page=122
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/counterstrikesource/preview_6103815.html

I dunno bout HL2, but if that gets ported, then Macs may finally get to see CS...

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

no :Source based game will be ported successfully to the Mac...EVER.

so don't hold your breath. or anything, for that matter. It simply will not happen! :)

as to getting a machine to play CS on, the kind of machines that have 128MB of SD RAM and a 5-8GB HDD and a 32MB GF2MX are PERFECT for CS or HL or any HL based game....except maybe DOD...which you might want some more graphics power for...but not much...

It's all pretty painfully old stuff now...look around on ebay...buying "new" old computer hardware costs a lot more than it should because they are effectively stocking antiques for people looking for a new ISA card or what have you for a machine that works but has no modern parts...don't buy a CS computer at NewEgg or ZZF unless you're buying a CS:S computer...which i recommend anyway...you'll get it for free with HL2, and you CAN built a machine for HL2 easily with 500-600 dollars...and it will play doom 3 and far cry and anything else you might want. sims 2, stalker, etc. all those games...so little mac support.

13. raiderz182 macrumors regular

here's some advice from someone whose played cs for 4 years ~ :
    hardware is important but REMEMBER TO DO THESE THINGS

1) turn off mouse accel. - your aiming will be accurate and consistent
    2) get a program to lock your refresh rates - you will get better frames per second and performance
    3) mouse sensitivity - LOW, a full movement of your mouse from the left to the right of your mousepad should make around a 180 degree turn.
    4) the bigger the mouse pad, the better!
    5) HEADPHONES, not speakers.

if you stick to playing on public servers, that should be it but if you want to
    optional ~

get into league/team-play , make sure you:

1) check out gotfrag.com - internationally known website for the cs community
    2) get on irc and stay at irc.gamesurge.net (for USA at anyways)
    quakenet seems to be the choice of europeans.
    3) watch some recordings of matches(called demos) , to get a feel for team-play. *a lot of top ranked teams playing are available on gotfrag
    4) the most popular online league in north america - www.caleague.com

PS : LEAGE AND TEAMPLAY IS 100x MORE FUN then playing in public servers.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

man there has to be some better games out there than counter strike to play. i don't know if that fad will ever die out. it got really boring bunny hoping around avoid bullets in that old game. ive taken a liking to america's army and tom clancy series, but thats just me.

iJon

15. raiderz182 macrumors regular

FYI : they took the bunny hopping out in version 1.3, disabled repeated jumping altogether in 1.4, which was well over 2 years ago. the biggest reason why cs is still so fun and popular is because of the teamplay and 5v5 tournaments.

16. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Like I said, you will have to get used to the controller, but it will save you money, and you will still get to play CS. There's still a friends list, and voice chat, so it's pretty much the same as the computer version, besides the keyboard. I don't know why MS doesn't have a KB/Mouse for the xbox... but they don't...

17. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

CS on the xbox looks like crap. i rented it just to see if it was any better than the pc version, but it didnt. i didnt play it on live(no broadband for me) so i dont know, it might be better on there. i never really liked CS any way. didnt like it when i got my gun i liked, got out side, and every one was dead in 10 seconds before i could get a shot off. and then the match starts over. never really appealed to me. but if its your thing, than like every one else said, $500 would get you a comp fast enough to play it.

18. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

I don't think a lot of people here realize how old CS (or the HL engine) is (been around macs too long?). It seems like an athlon xp (of any kind) is a bit of overkill. My P4 700 mhz (with a voodoo3! long live 3dfx!) machine plays with more than acceptable framerates at 1024x768 with all the settings turned to high.
    If you want a bare minimum machine to play it (ie: lower resolution/details), you'd be fine with something like 6 years old, like 500 mhz.

Any p4 system with a video card that was decent 4 or 5 years ago will be excellent.

19. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

No one gets counter-strike for the single player... Of course the single player is crap. All the marbles are in the online bag.

20. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

Does the PC version of CS even have single player? I have never ever seen it or played it despite having played the game for a long time.

21. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

You can start your own server on your machine and add bots... that's about it from what I remember.

22. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The single player on the xbox is just a bot match...
    I used to play the PC version, and, AFAIk, there isn't a single player version.

23. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

I second the entire xbox live thing. Although it is somewhat limited, you don't have to worry about hackers at all, or anything out of the ordinary that you'd experience on a PC. Plus matches you connect to are perfect with no lag at all. I've seen lag in a match a single time over the past 8 months. Also, the people aren't incredibly good, and it's very fair considering you're all using the same equipment.

And yes I have played the PC version (which is far superior, as it has more options)... but the xbox version offers up just as much fun.... plus you can snag doom 3 when it comes out and also get Halo 2 when it hits stores in november.

PS: MS doesnt make mice or keyboard for the xbox because they want to "distinguish it from a PC" :cool:

24. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Koree, do you have broadband? If not, then the xbox live thing isn't for you. Neither is PC counter-strike, though, as it will be laggy on dial-up. Have you decided what you are going to do yet?