Counter-strike for MAC?

Discussion in 'Games' started by chosenwolf, Mar 7, 2006.

1. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

When if ever will they release CS For mac =(

Any ideas?

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

steam's site says they have no intention of doing this. don't wait up for it.

3. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

or... don't play counter-strike? leave your house once in a while - it really is good for you. no matter what your clan says.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Seriously, the last good version of CS was Beta 5. I quit playing after that. :p

5. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I've heard that someone got it runing through WINE, but never heard anymore about it...

6. ucscc10 macrumors member

best bet would be to wait for vista and dual boot on an intel mac..or if someone gets xp working.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, wait for vista....they have no love for Mac.

Bless

8. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

apparently

EDIT: in recent news, it doesn't.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I presume, as it's an internet game, that MAC features very highly in it's list of needs

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yes, it does. I'm just waiting to seem so Microsoft branded boot loader or desktop overlay for it. Windows Vista: Mac Edition...

12. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

tell me you havent been listen to john c dvorak...

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Dvorak said that Apple will change to Windows. He said nothing about M$ releasing a version of Vista specifically designed to work with Mactels, which, considering they don't care what you run it on, as long as you bought a copy, is likely.

Oh, and I made that comment on Windows:Mac months ago. I call plagarism! :p

15. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Has anyone installed the current beta of Vista on their mac?

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Currently nobody has succeeded in getting any flavor of Windows running on the Mac without emulation.

17. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Which has nothing to do with anything...if CS was to be released for the Mac (which it won't be, but let's pretend), it would be converted to OpenGL...like almost every other Mac port out there.... That sort of thing is done all the time--not just for Mac ports, but anything that's released on more than one console. (XBox=Direct3D, everything else=OpenGL.)

--Eric

18. ucscc10 macrumors member

question: when vista is released and we can theoretically dual boot and such...will games such as CS/HL2 and graphic intensive games in general run fine? I'm confused at to whether it is the card that is opengl/directx or if it is the OS...

19. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The OS for DirectX and a combination of the OS and the card for OpenGL (OpenGL is more of a standard than an API, hence nVdia are known for releasing extra header files to use extra functions on the new cards)

20. ucscc10 macrumors member

so does that mean that with an intel mac and vista, directx games could be run? theoretically speaking, of course.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have Counter Strike but I've yet to play it. I got badly hooked on plain old HL2 deathmatches.

I'm off to play CS!

BACK: brilliant! turns out I only downloaded HL2: Deathmatch. Boo for download times. Boo for Steams busy servers.

22. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

I'm taking it you have a PC?

I used to always play Counter-Strike on my PC before I switched over to Mac... and I'm happy to say it was for the better. I actually deglued myself and finally realized that that game isn't really all that. I do miss it from time to time though.

Mac just needs to make a first person shooter that's a multiplayer game that involved real time weapons. None of these shooter games with space guns and stuff.

To ease my boredom I've been playing a lot of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.. which in my opinion is a pretty cool game. Old, repetitive, but cool. They're working on a mod for that game called Enemy Territory: True Combat , which is supposed to be compatible with Mac systems, but no updates have come to my attention lately for us. It looks like it could be compared to CS from my viewpoint.

All in all, like everyone said before... they'll never release a Mac version of CS. What's done is done, they're not updating that crap anymore. Get new games.

23. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Try America’s Army (newest version should be out soon) or some mods for BF1942 or UT2k4 (Desert Combat, Frag Ops).

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup! Just about the only thing it's good for. Yesterday I tried copying over a 100mb WMV trailer from my powerbook. It's flying through the wireless, going to take about 10 minutes. I try and open an MP3 on the desktop. System freezes - its still working but I can't click anything. Restart explorer. It's good. Try to open my PowerBook on the Run command thing. Another lock up! smashing!