Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest version of Counter-Strike -- Valve's flagship series and one of the most popular PC gaming titles ever -- has arrived on the Mac via Steam. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is the fourth title in the CS series, which has sold more than 27 million units in its lifetime.

Along with Portal 2, this is the second time that Valve has launched a flagship game simultaneously on the Mac and the PC, and the first Counter-Strike release since Steam launched on the Mac in 2010.

NewImage33.png

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO) will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched 12 years ago.

CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.
The Mac version has fairly liberal system requirements, with CS:GO looking for an Intel Core Duo processor with 2GHz or better, 2GB of RAM, and an ATI Radeon HD 2400 or better or a NVidia 8600M or better.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is available via Steam for $14.99.

Article Link: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Arrives for Mac on Steam

buckyballs

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
"This is the first time that Valve has launched a flagship game simultaneously on the Mac and the PC"

So Portal 2 wasn't a flagship game then? :p

rand0m3r

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
so this runs on my early 2008 15" MBP (2.4 dual core, 2 gig RAM, geforce 8600) ok, but the load times feel a bit a longer than cs:source and the fps can drop below 30 fps at times.

i wonder if upgrading to 4gig RAM will make much of a difference?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
It looks just like the old one, but taller! So much for doubling down on secrecy. Steve would never have allowed this!

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
"This is the first time that Valve has launched a flagship game simultaneously on the Mac and the PC"

You guys are absolutely right, fixed!

----------

Why this is homepage material?

The mind boggles.
Because it's one of the most popular games of all time. The mind boggles that they've sold 27 million copies of Counter-Strike over the years.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
how do you guys think it will run on my Mac air ultimate?

i7 2ghz
8gb ddr3
Intel Hd graphics 4000 512 MB

worth the buy?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
You guys are absolutely right, fixed!

----------

Because it's one of the most popular games of all time. The mind boggles that they've sold 27 million copies of Counter-Strike over the years.

Be that as it may, it's of interest only to Mac Gamers, and not a rumor, and so aught to go into the Mac Blog. Just my two cents on that matter.

Now a question... what exactly is Counter-Strike? Does it have any sort of campaign to it, or at least single player? When it comes to non-RTS games, I don't really like multiplayer with people I'm not friends with.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Now a question... what exactly is Counter-Strike? Does it have any sort of campaign to it, or at least single player? When it comes to non-RTS games, I don't really like multiplayer with people I'm not friends with.

No campaign. Multiplayer only, perhaps the G.O.A.T.

i7 2ghz
8gb ddr3

worth the buy?

It's a Source game. Can you run Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, etc.? If so then yes. If not then no.

CarlHeanerd

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
Adams County, PA

i7 2ghz
8gb ddr3

worth the buy?

It will run with gusto. The Intel graphics are over 2-3x as fast as the system requirements mentioned in the article. Additionally, since Source performance is mostly dependent on CPU over GPU, the i7 will absolutely shred this game.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
[/COLOR]Because it's one of the most popular games of all time. The mind boggles that they've sold 27 million copies of Counter-Strike over the years.[/QUOTE]

The number is closer to 270 million with all the pirated copies floating around. $14.99 really isn't much.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA

No, and neither is counter-strike. I think a company can only have one flagship title. It's biggest and best. The title that defines the company. If we are talking valve, then that title must be Half Life. No question about it. Portal and counter-strike are great games, but half life is valve's flagship. Unless it has finally been cancelled after all these years. Still waiting.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
No, and neither is counter-strike. I think a company can only have one flagship title. It's biggest and best. The title that defines the company. If we are talking valve, then that title must be Half Life. No question about it. Portal and counter-strike are great games, but half life is valve's flagship. Unless it has finally been cancelled after all these years. Still waiting.

+1. Counter Strike is cool and all, and I love the L4D & Portal series & TF2, but if Valve doesn't do something about some form of Half Life 3 sometime soon, I'm gonna go ballistic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.