Counter Strike on Mac - sometimes I wish I had a PC

Discussion in 'Games' started by thomasp, Dec 5, 2005.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

My floor at university halls has recently become addicted to playing Counter Strike of an evening across the LAN, and although I don't usually like first-person shooters (I suck at Halo on the XBox, but don't mind the odd little battle), I feel like I'm missing out on something here :(

Is there any chance that Counter Strike could be released on mac "soon"?

Sometimes, I wish I had a Windows PC - not often though! (actually, this is the first time in 8 years of mac ownership :))

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'd say no.. no chance.. as Counter Strike is fairly old.

3. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Tell your friends to try Enemy Territory, it's free and cross-platform, so it'll be an offer they can't refuse.

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think America's Army is quite similar to CS.

I don't like CS though, I rather play DoD.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, sort of. When the Intel systems come out, you may be able to run CS via Cedega, which is a tool for running Windows games on Linux. TransGaming (the makers of Cedega) haven't announced Mac support, but they're prepared to look into it.

6. satans_banjo macrumors regular

CS is a great game, but not worth getting a windows pc. you suggest substitutes, but there's something about that game that suggests that the creators have got it very right indeed

having said that, i'm perfectly comfortable with waiting for mactels. cedega may only be available for linux, but you can install it on your mac using Fink and run it under X - it would be slower but not by much

7. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got a new Powerbook (well, an obsolete PowerBook now ;)) in August this year, and I have no intentions of replacing it soon :)

I guess I'll just have to put up with watching them have fun...

8. satans_banjo macrumors regular

if you want to be spiteful you could always give them a virus. that would show them

9. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Slight problem with that: if it infected the uni network and got traced to me, I'd probably be kicked out of uni, and certainly lose my internet access :)

10. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Whats DoD? Did you mean CoD?

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I built a computer for Counter-Strike Source, and now play DoD: Source, too. Both are great games. It sucks that you can't get CS for the mac platform... A $200 PC should play the original CS like a charm, but I doubt you're willing to spend money on it.

13. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Just give one of them a "free" jump drive that you have in excess.

14. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

return to castle wolfinstien is a awesome game also to play on the network, Enemy Territory like what was said is free and kicks ass playing on the network. unreal tournament is also awesome on network and has good mods, quake 2 and Quake 3 arena are good over network and there is good mods out for them to. it sucks that half-life didnt come out on Mac

15. Daedalus256 macrumors 6502

Yes and it's far better than CS even though I love CS too.

I also play a crapload of UT2k4 which rules as well.

16. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

17. amholl macrumors 6502

If u r into starwars, Jedi Academy is fun. Good mods and lots of custom options plus great single playerand good arenas

18. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I think there is nothing compared to CS. All the kids swearing, the bad language, just funny. I have never heard so much yakking about bull**** like I did in CS.

Too bad it's not out for mac.

19. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

Cs:S is a great game. I play it at lan parties at my house every few months with 5 or 6 friends. However, when you pick up a kreig (the sweet terrorist assult rifle) you have to shout "Krieg!!" and go and seriously pwn some people. :p Ah... good times.

20. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

This game stole a year of my life... be careful.

21. Dark macrumors regular

I too just got hooked ..not addicted to computer gaming. I really was never big on video games period. Then over thanksgiving I had nothing to do so my friends told me to go on Halo2...so I did. Then Sunday and today I went to a place called the Gamers Planet( Lan Party Place, Computers, X-Box, PS2). So, thank god I now have my brothers brand new laptop that he never uses. I just installed Steam and purchased Counter Strike: Source and another game...pretty sweet

22. FireArse macrumors 6502a

so true

It's seriously addictive. It stole about 6months of mine - fortunately, it didnt wreak havok on my Uni grades.

F

23. benpatient macrumors 68000

I always liked DoD more than Cs just because you dont have to sit around forever waiting for a team to die off if you get killed.

And I have a WW2 soft spot like so many other people.

When CS:S came out I started playing that a lot and DoD just didn't have enough charm to make up for the flaws.

Now I'm getting fairly proficient at DoD:S, which is uber-beautiful. I would say that it's a lot more fun than BF2, even. Just solid fun. Not to mention (except that i already did) beautiful.

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If many of the rumors prove to be true, you'll be able to install Windows on the new Intel Macs and play Counter Strike that way.

So no, CS is not coming to Mac, but the Mac may come to CS, in a manner of speaking.

25. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

DOD is great for what it is...a break from CS. It is still, in my opinion, the best WW2 online game, but i really dont think it holds a flame to CS.