Counter-Strike? WINE?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Oki, May 16, 2004.

1. Oki macrumors member

Oki

I just purchased my first Apple product - a 15" PowerBook. I opted for the faster 80gig HDD and the 128MB Radeon. I am wicked excited, I wanna learn about Apple products and expand my OS horizons.

I am a huge gamer and I waited for this iteration of PBs to come out so I could bring some muscle to LANs I attend in a small package. The problem is, I read that those nerds over at VALVE chose not to make a port for Mac. This is crazy distressing 'cause that's what we play most of the time. I also read that I can run WINE to emulate CS, but I thought that was only for Linux. So confused.

So, will I have to purhase a Windows emulation program to run CS or could I just install WINE?

2. dopefiend macrumors 6502

You won't be able to.

WINE is for x86 only and isn't an emulator.

3. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

That's not strictly true.

However, that being said, there isn't a whole lot that you can do about the lack of CounterStrike/HalfLife for the mac. It's never been ported and there's really only one choice (and it's a bad one) if you really want to try to play - VirtualPC. It doesn't exactly perform all that well.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You'll have to wait for Virtual PC 7, which will apparently support 3D again (last version to do so was 3 I think). I believe it's a few months away.

5. Oki thread starter macrumors member

Oki

Uggggggggh, I need CS...can't wait...Virtual PC it is....sigh. TY for the help.

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, the native graphics cards support is just a rumour yet, so I wouldn’t get too excited. If it doesn’t come, then CS still won’t be playable.

But I hope it does, as I want to play DOD...

7. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    assuming that vpc 7 does have 3d acceleration support it would still have to be faster than vpc 6 in order to run CS.

8. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

To state more explicitly what I meant, since it seems like it's been passed over, I thought I would point out the DarWINE project. It's an extension of OpenDarwin that's meant to port the WINE layer of Windows APIs to the Darwin core. As such, it could very well mean that we get to use programs we really need or want without having to go through emulation of the hardware.

Of course, this will probably get down to a degree of emulation somewhere, but my guess is that it would be far, far faster than VPC.

9. benpatient macrumors 68000

running DoD or CS through steam through VPC on a mac could prove to be a very, very slow experience...it would be nice though...

10. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

well i dunno...if VPC7 actually has any graphics acceleration i think it would be run at low seettings, which would still be fun...haha im guessing youll need at least a 1.8 dual ghz power g5 mac to run it tho...or probably a faster processor...not sure...well just have to wait and see...

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/mac/virtualpc_v7.mspx

VPC 6 can "run" HL. Though I only got 3 FPS out of it. Surely with the optimizations talked about surely it can run it at 30 fps at least. So you never know.

I know it isn't impossible, because RealPC had, I believe, a workable GPU in their app before MS sued.