counter strike?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Rob587, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Is CS or half life or w/e made for macs at all?

2. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

CS:S is like crack... except when you do crack you dont have some teenage kid shoot you in the face, talk **** about you mother and then tea bag your corpse.

I still play that dirty dirty game though ........

3. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

its one of the three games i play and mac doesnt support it..... why is this?

What about trying to play it on virtual pc?

4. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Because Valve decided to trash Mac version of Half Life just before it was completed for no logical reason.

Virtual PC does work if you don't mind the game running at around 2fps in software rendering mode.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've had it running at about 10-15 fps :) but for some reason the mouselook doesn't work, thereby making it absolutely useless.

Edit: It doesn't seem to have done any good whatsoever, but here's the HL2 for Mac petition.

Edit 2: It might be better to email Valve directly (contact@valvesoftware.com) if you want a Mac version of HL. Pointing out that 6000 people want it would be good too :)

6. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

is it playable? i dunno what fps and software is.... is it awful? whats mouselook?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, it is absolutely unplayable. It runs really slowly and you can only look in one direction.

8. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

do u think that they will eventually make it for macs? Why wouldnt they want more sales?

9. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Half Life 1 is just way too old to even be considered to be ported. Its over 6 years old!

I suppose Half Life 2 could be ported if Valve really wanted (and it seems they don't), but from what i've heard the Havok physics engine that is used in the game has not been ported to OSX and thus no games that utilize it could be properly ported over.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I hope someday this changes. Windows users that I know tend to focus primarly on piracy. Mac users tend to actually pay for their software. It would seem that a popular game for the Mac would make more money that most people realize. Probably more than that tiny 2%.

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

you are saying, then, that you're unaware of the huge number of downloads of Halo for Mac, Call of Duty for Mac, and probably the most pirated thing ever (aside from windows XP), Photoshop for Mac?

The poor copy protection for mac software, OS through plug-ins, has actually been one of the reasons that a lot of companies steer clear. That and the small user base.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I wish they'd port it. One of my friends is like 'I hate Windows, I wouldn't at all mind getting a Mac, but they can't run CS' :mad:

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Something I didn't mention before regarding the petition: I wrote it :)

For the first time, I have actually acted on it. I just sent the following to Valve.

In reality, I know that Havok is a stumbling block, but let's work on this one step at a time :)

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm with you dudes, I really wish the Havok physics engine would be ported to the Mac. Max Payne 2, and the assortments of Source-based games depend on it. A port of Steam, and consequently Valve's library of games.

The thing is, Valve doesn't want to do this themselves. They're perfectly willing to have companies such as Aspyr to do it... but their licensing fees for it are outrageous, and the porting companies, small companies as they are, cannot afford it.

Yep it does suck. Hopefully Valve will open up to the idea of a Mac port and either do it themselves or cut the porting companies a deal.

15. altair macrumors regular

I really think apple should buy a gaming company and make em port games 24/7. 1, they would actually port them well, and 2 more games on mac = the last thing we can honestly tell ppl is a reason to buy a pc will be gone.

16. benpatient macrumors 68000

something you guys aren't really taking into consideration....steam.

or more precisely, the things that steam can bring to the table.

In this case, I'm talking about the once-a-week or more updates that are made to various parts of the standard HL2 package. If they find a bug in HL2 or in CS:S or in steam or in the source engine itself, or in one of the dedicated servers or ANYTHING that they are in charge of, they can release a patch over steam literally whenever they want to.

There isn't really an external "version" counter like there usually is with software...because if you're logged in to Steam, and you aren't downloading an update, then you're 100% current.

This is an issue because there will always be differences between the mac and PC versions of a game, even if they are subtle, under-the-hood differences. The whole Source/Steam thing is constantly evolving and growing. They announced last week that they are going to add HDR support pretty soon for existing material, and release some new material to show off what can be done with this lighting technique on hardware that can handle it. The problem is, Aspyr couldn't just keep doing these updates when some tech head finds a 2 bit glitch in the CS:S dedicated server code that needs to be squashed to fix a memory leak. They would need to do something more segregated and independent of Steam...something like HL2 v 1.4 and then 6 months later release an update to 1.5 or something.

It would not be a simple port...unless you want them to pick a particular day on the evolutionary time line and say "OK, everything that is in the PC version as of 05/25/05 will be included in the Mac version...nothing else that we do after that will appear in the mac version, and also, the mac and PC versions will not work together."

You would have a good HL2 singleplayer experience...but you would miss out on the important stuff...CS:S DOD:S and literally hundreds of single and multi-player mods and projects like Sven Co-op and such. There are already dozens of good 3rd party maps for CS:S and quite a few for HL2:DM. There's the wonderful, wacky Garry's Mod for playing with physics, and it just keeps on going.

basically,after you finish HL2 on your Mac, you'd want every game to be that good...and you'd want every game to look at least as good as the one you just finished...it would ruin all other Mac gaming experiences...and you'd be in the same position you're in now—wishing you had a PC so you could play _______ mod for HL2.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I see what you mean, I hadn't thought about that. How 'mature' is the game now? How often do updates come out, have they ironed out most of the bugs? If so, then the patching problem lessens.

Blizzard manages to patch the Mac and Windows versions of WoW simultaneously, so it's definitely possible :)

Edit: Do you happen to know the approximate ratio between code and data patches? If most patches simply update the data files, then there's no platform-specific stuff happening. Code, on the other hand...

18. applekid macrumors 68020

If the rumors of a supposedly "high-priced" licensing fee is involved, you think there would be a close-knit relationship between Valve and whoever gets the rights to the port?

Say, a porting house did pick up Half Life 2 (ignoring Havok). Maybe Steam is included with the package (well, it probably will have to be). Let's say, Valve was to make their main server compatible with the Mac Steam client, since this is a pricey port. That would get us mostly over the Steam hurdle.

Now, if there were to be patches to be distributed over Steam, I would suspect the bulk of the patching happens within the data files, not the executable itself. I'm sure the code could be ported so that the PC data files would be 100% compatible with the Mac data files and that would only require having a Mac executable. Now, if there's things being patched in the PC executable itself, the Mac version of the executable would have to be ported from the PC code. That would create some delays, and that would also leave us at the mercy of Valve since they'll probably have to approve of the executable before distributing it over Steam.

So, the way I see it, Valve will most likely open up the doors to allow Macs access to Steam and use it for distribution, if we ever see a day HL2 gets ported. However, if there's some sort of patching to an executable, we'll be sure to see delays, and would slow us down.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If they're going to be 'good guys' then they'd delay the Windows patch too, and release them both at the same time (like Blizzard).

No reply yet. :(

20. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Blizzard is the exception though. I honestly can't think of a single, other company that did a simultaneous PC/Mac release.

Oh wait, whoever made Myst. Ok, that's two then.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

22. MeanD3feat macrumors member

LMFAO :D :D :D :D :D

It is a shame about the games not coming to OS X I know a lot of people who would switch if the Mac was a decent gaming platform.

Before I get loads of abuse :p , what I mean is that the graphics cards come late if at all-just like the games.
    And if you want upgradeable (or decent) graphics then you have to opt for the high end g5s or an old model g4. It just gets too pricey, they'd rather buy dell etc cheaply or pay a premium for the hardware from alienware/falcon-nw/voodoo but be safe in the knowledge that the games will come.

23. richbrf macrumors newbie

HL2 won't be ported (at least easily) because it uses DirectX very heavily.

To get it on the mac they would have to port steam, havok (not their responsibility) and move it over from DirectX to OpenGL.

That's a pretty mammoth task for 3% of the userbase.

Sorry..if you own a mac and want to play games, get an Xbox/Xbox2.