Counterfeit Apple Stores Pop Up In China

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 20, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not just counterfeit iPads and iPhones that turn up in China. There are knockoff Apple Stores as well. The anonymous writer behind the BirdAbroad blog ran into a fake Apple Retail Store -- complete with wood floors, blue t-shirts and lanyards -- in Kunming, China.
    [​IMG]

The full blog post is a great read, with many details about the fake stores (plural!) she ran into. Her post has been covered extensively, but Apple has declined to comment about the fake stores.

Article Link: Counterfeit Apple Stores Pop Up In China

2. Guest

toddybody

Onion Article?

3. macrumors 6502

Wow! Looks legit from the photos (if those are photos from the store in China).

4. macrumors 6502a

Yeah... is this some kind of sick, screwed up joke?!

5. macrumors member

if i walked into that store in the photos i would not be able to tell the difference

6. macrumors regular

Sparced

7. macrumors regular

litchie

It is crazy. Aside from use of Apple logos, can you patent a store design?

8. macrumors Core

alphaod

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

All Apple needs to do is take ownership, add some iPad displays, and change the sign to a silver background.

Isn't that great? No cost of construction, furnishing, hiring. All paid for.

9. macrumors 6502a

Tucom

That comedy sketch is absolutely fantastic! Is it scripted or did the black/dark skinned folk not really know what was going on initially? Brilliant.

10. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Good to know, as I may go to China soon, and I'm sure I would have run into one of those stores.

I guess the unexpected happens in China.

11. macrumors newbie

I would really like to see what they sell !!!

It's cool... :D:D I mean, in the sense that those guys has no limit to what they can copy. Reminded me those Superman series with the Bizarre Superman, who in fact believed he was the real one. but let's not go so far, have you seen any other companies @CA that does the same? analyze it and you'll find the answer ... just a few miles away. LOL. :D:D:D:D Anyway to be consistent with my header, would be great to have a pic of the products they sell on this store. :):apple:

12. macrumors member

I am actually very surprised that these counterfeit stores haven't been blogged about before. It is shocking that no one who is familiar with the functionality of an apple product to go to those "apple stores" and say something about them online.

13. macrumors 6502a

koruki

Being Chinese but not growing up in China, the culture shock is huge. We got a contract request for an iOS app from China recently and they showed us what type of app they wanted. They took a well known existing app and photoshopped a different letter into the app icon and expected to be copied exactly. Not surprisingly we said no. :confused:

14. macrumors 6502

Justinf79

I bet Steve Jobs and a few Apple guys with baseball bats stroll in and begin to trash the place.

15. macrumors regular

dawnrazor

This is hilarious...

16. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No.

You can trademark it, though. Known as trade dress.

17. macrumors 68020

spillproof

Too bad Apple doesn't actually write "Apple Store" on their signs.

18. macrumors 65816

lord patton

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

"buy 'em out, boys!"

No, wait, that was B.G.

19. macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Only western vanity makes it wrong in any way.

It's a different culture with different values, and one I respect more than our own faux democracy.

20. macrumors 65816

RafaelT

That is just crazy...

21. macrumors 6502a

Tucom

At least they're selling real Apple products and the people believe that they're really working for Apple and have a nice lay-out and representation (seemingly so) of the quality and clean setup of a real Apple store which means newcomers to anything-Apple will hopefully get a quality, real good first impression akin to what people would get in real Apple stores.

Like at least (as it would seem) not everybody in the store is a giant scheme to make faux Apple stores, just the people who have money and relative power there :rolleyes: :mad:

iMad! lol, nah, but really interesting and kind of sad IMO.

Then again, food for thought, could be out of just good hearted souls to bring Apple stores where Apple would never build them :D

22. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

As long as they fix my fake Mac and fake iPhone, which I can't tell are fake, then I guess I have no complaints!

23. macrumors member

the funniest part of this is that the workers there actually think they work for apple. FAIL

24. macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

are there knockoff Macs out there? i've seen fake iPods, but never a fake Mac. hmmm....

25. macrumors 65816

wackymacky

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You just got to love China!