Couple idea's apple should look into

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by slooksterPSV, Apr 2, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    I have a few idea's that Apple might want to consider for the Newer G4's and G5's that have no OS 9 Support (except for classic mode).

Build and OS 9 Version like OS 9.3 that supports newer G4 and G5 Models.

Build their own Virtual Machine Software to emulate OS 9 for fullscreen mode for older applications (and newer OS 9 apps) that will use the full potential of the hardware. - I know some places still use OS 9, so they keep an old iMac or that, just to test out Apps, or run the apps they've had forever and what not.

Build their own Virtual Machine Mac Emulating Software period.

Allow classic Mode to take up entire screen with classic appearance and features.

Build in formating support to format partitions for FAT32.

Ability to set [root] password when installing the OS.

In updated 10.3.9 allow users to change size of fonts on the application menu bar. - This is supposedly (that doesn't look like the right spelling) to be done for OS 10.4

Add in a normal text editor where you can save file as HTML, TXT, whatever-ending-you-want-the-file-to-have.

Their own Zip, Tar, GunZip, etc. program where you can view files in an archive from a window and add to or remove from it. - Stuffit expander just won't do that for me, unless it will and I don't know how.

Allow more accessibility for setting user options in OS X - Any verison, I hope they improve on this for OS X.IV.

Ability to choose between only running 32-bit or 64-bit apps. - That may be a good security one. Some companies may only want to use 64-bit apps, so that you use the full potential and don't have the security breaches with 32-bit apps. And vice versa. I dunno, just an idea.

Have iTunes able to skin it and change size of it, via skin like you see in Windows Media Player for Windoze.

Thats all I'm going to post, I have tons more I could post, but those are a few.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    They've been trying hard to get everyone away from 9 for years, there's nothing to gain in going backwards :rolleyes:
    Not a bad idea, it'd be nice to be able to run another instance of OS X within a virtual machine for testing and such.
    Again, trying to move away from classic/OS9. Why bother.
    Bad idea, if you know what root is and what you might need it for you will find out, or know how to do it. If you don't, then it's best you know nothing about it and leave it alone!
    As you say, I think in Tiger they have covered this.
    You can save files as whatever you like with TextEdit.
    hmmm, not sure about this one. I thought the bundled stuffit did this, I have Deluxe 9 now so I can't check.
    No idea what it is you are after here.
    Don't get this either, seems completely pointless.
    Personal thing I suppose. I hate most skins, keep things as they were designed to be viewed IMO.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    There isn't any real reason for most of those ideas...move away from Mac OS 9...the rest of the world is.

You don't need to set the password for root but you can do it from the installation disc.

Stuffit Standard will allow you to browse many archives, as well as create them.

FAT32 formatting? Why in the world would you need to format Windows hard drives? It's not like you're going to be able to use it for Mac applications and you're not going to be able to run Windows on Mac OS X directly. There is no point.
  4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    You can. Open a Terminal and type diskutil erase<return>

This will show you the help for this which I have pasted below:
    Note that MS-DOS (i.e. FAT-32) is a valid filesystem.
  5. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001
    Never before have I seen such a long list of potential features shut down so quickly and I can say I whole-heartedly agree that most of them were not for the good.
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Bring back the Apple designed wooden pencil, it never crashes... is made from a renewable resource, and is cheap.

Sometimes, you have to let go of the past.
  7. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    Agreed on these three.
  8. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I let go of Mac OS 9, about a year ago. Haven't looked back since.
  9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Now that's all well and good for those people migrating from the chalk world, but remember, you have to BYOPED (bring your own paper, eraser and desk). For those of you wanting the all-in-one design, the Apple branded abacus!
  10. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    This costs money, a lot of money considering how many new models there have been since they dropped OS 9 booting.

Do you want 10.3.9 to be stable? If it is in 10.4, it has had months of testing.

Done! zip/unzip/gzip/gunzip/tar in Terminal.

This is probably a dumb idea. A lot of the utilities will remain 32 bit for a long time. And there is no reason to convert them to 64-bit (and reason to not convert them exists).