Couple intel iMac software problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jared_kipe, Jan 23, 2006.

1. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Firstly, anyway to install the OS only without all the ilife junk? I wasted a lot of time trying to reinstall only OSX only to have it install everything else at the same time. Normally I'd use a generic 10.4 cd, but obviously it probably won't work on the intel imacs. I got around it by searching for say.. Garageband in finder and deleting everything that came up for it. But it was a hassle.

Secondly, does anyone else have this weird software related glitch. Take a window like safari, and on the top right drag it so some of the window goes out of view. There are weird blurry edges up in that corner. I'm on a 20" I think its software because they don't appear on the background, nor a videolan controller. So my assumption is its apple hardware (tested safari, mail.app, finder, ichat) First time I saw it I thought I was gonna have to send my baby back.

2. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Does happen to video lan if you make the controler get tall, AND you make it go far enough to the side that the light brown part of the window is off view.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

somewhere before the installation, there is a Customize... button near the bottom, you click on that and you get to choose what you do and don't want the installer to install.

4. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I thought I looked, but I didn't see one.

5. starnox macrumors 6502

I think you can also un-install things if you stick your install DVD back into your Mac.

6. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I no longer believe this is software, it is obviously a hardware problem as I see it on lighter colored desktops. I'll have to call applecare.

7. joebells macrumors 6502

So the os and iLife come on the same dvd? They didn't before did they, I know my girlfriends imac has two dvd's? I wonder if you can use the dvd from one of the new intel imacs on the older imacs like what would happen? Would that be a way to get frontrow on a rev B imac? Would it give worse performance, better performance? Would it take up more ram from the universal binaries(I think it only loads the one you need correct?)

I'm sure someone has tried it already.

8. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Well you can put frontrow on old macs, there are multiple threads. There are two dvd's but one of them doesn't say ilife, and during the OS instillation it asks for the second one with no way around it.

My beautiful imac is in for repairs. The lcd is defective, even with no stuck pixels :'( They say it will take 10 days and obviously didn't promise me an equally problem pixel free display. Only reason they didn't give me a new one right there is because of the 256mb VRAM.

9. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

samething happend to my imac...whered u buy it from? online?? did u have to pay restockiing fee?? and can u install limewire..cuz i cant..:rolleyes:

10. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I didn't pay a restocking fee because I didn't return it, its in for repair. Didn't try limewire, but flip4mac wasn't working for me as wasn't flash in safari. I think the later was because of installing Studio 8 with flash. When she comes back I'll have 2gb of ram waiting for her (had to send some back and pay a restocking fee because I didn't realize apple used notebook memory), and a fresh install to try to fix all my software problems.